Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 25, 2018, 06:47:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Division 2 Regional Notes  (Read 972 times)
Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« on: February 13, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »

Division 1 regionals are nearly all full, with four wrestlers advancing from each. There are plenty of exciting matchups, but with very low stakes for many of them. Those stakes come next week. In Division 2 and 3, we have a two divergent effects. In many brackets, byes reign supreme, with some holding as little as 3 wrestlers. On the flip side of that coin is that if the bracket is fuller, still only two advance, which makes the stakes extremely high. Let's have a look at the happenings of the first Saturday in the State Series, Division 2.

Wrestle Like You've Been There

Despite more sparse allotments, there were still plenty of matches between division 2 state qualifiers.

At 132 in Lodi, Colton Nicolay and Tanner Deist wrestled a 4-3 match, with Deist coming out on top. While Nicolay is a sophomore, qualifying for state last year in his only year eligible, Deist is a senior with two trips to Madison under his belt, including a 5th place finish last year.

In the Adams-Friendship regional, Dalton Shams bested Austin Mowery 8-3. While only Mowery made state last year, Dalton was a third-place finisher at 106, in 2016.

In the same region, Ryan Hannah and Teagen Miller met in the finals. The two seniors had combined for five state appearances prior, but Hannah boasts the much stronger resume, going (1-1) in two finals matches. Yet it was Miller who bested Hannah at Bi-State taking 2nd, while Hannah settled for 3rd. At regionals, Hannah avenged that Bi-State loss, with a 3-1 victory in double overtime.

A couple of sophomore, state veterans squared off at 132 in Jefferson, but former-finalist Aiden Medora stayed undefeated, besting Ellis Pfleger 10-4.

In Winneconne, a couple of one-time state qualifers matched up at the weight they both qualified at the year prior, 220. Jack Dietzen showed why he took third, while Tucker Bender only wrestled one match, as Dietzen pinned Bender late in the first period.

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

With real stakes, there were four former state qualifiers who didn't even make sectionals this year (as there are some every year). Here are the four that competed and were defeated.

Travis Hudack may have traveled to Lodi mentally preparing for a 182-pound match with Jacob Heyroth. Both finished 4th at sectionals last year, after each qualifying their sophomore year in 2016. Instead, Hudack fell 12-8 to Andrew Henschel, who then lost to Heyroth, eliminating Hudack.

In Valders, there was plenty of action between former state qualifiers. One those matches ended the career of Tommy Bianchi, who lost effectively the 2nd place match, 4-2, to Colton Worachek at 145. Both wrestlers lost to Matthew Maitland in the tournament as well.

There was more Valders heartbreak, in the bracket one lighter, as Cameron Lemmens lost twice to wrestlers who were yet to experience the state spotlight: 6-4 to freshman Ethan Schwartz and 1-0 to junior Walker VandeHey.

Tyler Budz, who qualified for state at 106 two years ago took fourth place at 113 in Seymour, losing twice to non-state-qualifiers as well.

Finally, Aaron Bahr did advance to sectionals, taking 1st at 138 in the Adams-Friendship regional. I mention him only to note that last year, he took 4th at the Richland Center sectionals, 126 pounds, with the three wrestlers advancing ahead of him (Hatfield, Medora, Katzenmeyer), finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd at state.

The Higher the Podium, The Harder the Fall

All because you found the podium last year doesn't guarantee you a regional title this year, as several division 2 former place-winners tasted defeat this past weekend.

Senior Nolan Kicmol has made state every year of his high school career, including a 2nd-place finish in 2016 and a 3rd last year. He matched that 2nd place, only at the regionals this time. He was defeated 10-6 in double overtime by former state qualifier Jackson Hauri.

At the Northwestern regional, Tim Coyne was hoping to improve on his fifth place finish from last year. He advanced, to keep that dream alive, but will enter sectionals as a 2-seed, thanks to three-time qualifier Calen Kirkpatrick, who warranted a referee mat slap with just 21 seconds left of their 138-pound final.

Sophomore Ben Durocher and junior Nathan Ronsman have combined to make state all three times they were eligible. While Ronsman was the only one to make the state podium, Durocher was the one standing higher on the podium Saturday, having notched a 6-3 win. That match represents the rubber match of the three-match series this season, as the wrestlers had split dual and Battle on the Bay matches earlier this year. What do you call the fourth match after a rubber match? What about the fifth?

Your Place or Mine?

There were three matchups of former place-winners in division 2 Saturday. In two of the three, the lower placer was victorious, in what could very well be just part one of the series.

Isaac Wiegel has placed not once, but twice at state, in three state appearances (4th in 2017, 3rd in 2016). Caleb Radtke has a single 6th place finish on his resume. That disparity did not stop Radtke from taking the regional crown with a 6-5 victory at 120 pounds in Prairie du Chien.

Charlie Stuhl, as a freshman last year, finished 2nd at 106 pounds, while Jacek Nickowski finished 6th at one weight class heavier. When they met at 120 pounds, it was Nickowski who had his hand raised after an 11-9 win in sudden victory.

Nothing Is More Reliable Than a B&B

Sometimes you don't realize what you've got, until it's gone. Getting to watch Brady & Manning duel it out was a gift. Same with Russell & Wilt, Bird & Magic, and LeBron & His Hairline. The battles, man. So captivating. We here in Wisconsin have one currently going on that may out shine all of them. The saga of Joey Bianchi and Bryce Bosman, who have squared off seven times in the state tournament series out of a possible seven brackets, each one in the finals of that bracket.

Let's start at the beginning.

2016:
Bosman entered regionals with a 34-4 record, having lost only to Koltin Grzybowkski twice, Dalton Schams (which he avenged in the same tournament) and Brady Koontz. Bianchi entered with a 33-8 record, having lost twice to out-of-state wrestlers at the Cheesehead along with losses to Brandon Klein twice, Garrison Murphy, Matt Anderson, Mitch Landgraf, and Sawyer Sawbacker.

Regionals: Bianchi, 5-2
Sectionals: Bianchi, 2-1 in double OT
State: Bosman, 2-1 in double OT

2017:
Bosman entered regionals with a 35-3 record, with his only three losses being two to out-of-state competitors at the Dvorak and one to Sawyer Sawbacker. (Shout-out to Sawyer, the only guy to beat both of them! It's also the last in-state loss either of them have taken to anyone other than each other.) The three losses in Bianchi's 32-3 regional record were all out-of-state losses at the Cheesehead.

Regionals: Bosman, 3-1
Sectionals: Bosman, 5-0
State: Bosman, 2-0

2018:
Bosman came to regionals this year with a record of 37 wins and 2 out-of-state Dvorak losses while Bianchi's 33 wins are matched up against 4 out-of-state Cheesehead losses.

Bosman took regionals, 3-2 in sudden victory. I have to image the "SV-3" denotation on trackwrestling wasn't a typo as much as an acknowledgement that we're in year three of a four year epic saga. You might think Bianchi will never catch up, trailing the series 5-2, but with 5+ remaining matchups available, anything can happen.

Regardless of which of them takes the series, the real winners are all of us for getting to watch it!

And, that's only regionals!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:01:26 PM by Japanese Whizzer » Logged
bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

Ben Durocher is a sophomore.

Mommabear
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:52 PM »

These are so entertaining!  Thanks for these, Mr. Whizzer!
Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »

Hey man, help me out. I've been trying to figure out what I missed here. I listed him as a sophomore. Is there a mistake somewhere else in that Durocher/Ronsman match I'm missing?
bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »

Hey man, help me out. I've been trying to figure out what I missed here. I listed him as a sophomore. Is there a mistake somewhere else in that Durocher/Ronsman match I'm missing?

Sorry, I read your story incorrectly that they made state all three times, I get it now, 2 for Ronsman, 1 for Durocher.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »

Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »

Sorry, I read your story incorrectly that they made state all three times, I get it now, 2 for Ronsman, 1 for Durocher.

👍
bud
Outside the Wall

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

Great job on the Bosman-Bianchi write up. You are 100% correct, the fans are the real winners here and cant wait for the rematches!!!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!
Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: