Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 25, 2018, 06:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Division 1 Regional Notes  (Read 1300 times)
Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »

If you're not aware that there are some problems with the WIAA regional system, I'd like to welcome you to your first day on the WI Wrestling Forum. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the formatting of posts, how to maneuver through different threads and sub-threads or whether it's a bash Barry or praise Donny day. (It's actually both, everyday!)

Anyway, I wanted to hit on some of the highlights and lowlights of the first Saturday of the state series, starting with division 1.

State, For the Price of Regionals

While divisions 2 and 3 have a litany of byes filling brackets, division 1 was loaded with matchups between former state qualifiers. Thanks to the 4-then-2 format, most of these matches were just to determine seeding for the sectional round, where we get even more great matchups. It's like the appetizer before your meal, before your even bigger meal!

In the Rapids regional at 145, Jacob DeMeyer knocked off two-time state qualifier Nolan Hertel, blanking him 4-0. DeMeyer is a looking to become a four-time qualifer and to improve on his fourth place finish from a year ago.

In the Waukesha South region, Cole Acker fell 11-4 to Eric Halverson, at 138 pounds.

At the same weight but in Menomonee Falls, David Holzem bested Noah Dakouras, by the score of 6-3.

Then there was the 145 pound bracket in Kenosha, which hosted sophomore Jake Skrundz, junior Marco Infusino, and junior Reese Dutton. All three wrestlers qualified for state in their freshman year, but Infusino and Dutton were in the same 138-pound sectional last year, where Infusino advanced and Dutton did not. In regionals, they finished Skrundz (1st), Dutton (2nd), Infusino (3rd), but we all know the sectional is where the music stops and not everyone gets a chair.

Not All States are the Same

If the Electoral College has taught us anything, it's that not all states are the same. There were quite a few matches where two state-qualifying competitors stepped in the circle, and there was little doubt about which was superior.

Three-time qualifier, two-time 5th place finisher Jacob Anderson had a fall and two tech falls, including a 19-4 stoppage against former state-qualifer Nathan Fehlen, in the 160 finals in New Richmond.

In Slinger, Beau Yineman continued his undefeated ways, putting up 23 points in route to a tech fall of former state qualifer Joe Leonhardt at 195 pounds.

Cody and Cole sound like the names of a couple of characters from a Nickelodeon show for teens, but instead it was Cody (Welker) against Cole (Ramos) in the 120-pound final down in Kenosha. Ramos dispatched of Welker with a fall, just inside of the final buzzer to end the second period.

In the next weight up in Kenosha, Mason French and Collin Widmar both came into regionals with four losses, and both added to that total, each losing to Ben Stevenson. Additionally, French pinned Widmar to take 2nd place.

In West Allis Central at 145 was a battle of two two-time qualifiers from schools I regularly confuse: Mukwonago and Muskego. Evan Sinda, from one of them, pinned Jake Schulte, from the other, in 5 1/2 minutes.

Former state finalist Hunter Lewis found a state qualifer in the finals as well, Edward Wilkowski, and made short work of him, winning by first period fall.

To Be ... Not To Be

There were a couple instances where a potential match between state qualifiers was thwarted.

In Menomonee Falls, Messi Elgin lost on his way to a finals match with Dominic Dentino, finishing third.

In the regional hosted by the team formally known as Green Bay United, Benjamin Stimac fell in the semis, rather than get to a state-on-state showdown with Logan Bellow.

Former state qualifier Leonardo Kiser fell not once but twice at regionals, with neither coming at the hands of Frank Garcia, who is looking for his fourth state birth and his second trip to the podium in his senior season at 160.

Mayday in February

There were two wrestlers who placed last year, but were unable to take the top spot at regionals this year, losing to non-state qualifiers of the past.

Cole Godbout was one, who finished second in the 220-pound category at state last year and first in the "Best Name For A Perfect Match" category. At regionals, he wrestled far from a perfect match, falling to 1-loss Mitchell Williamson of River Falls, 8-6 in sudden victory.

Cade Spilde, who finished sixth last year in the state tournament was a regional runner up as well, falling to Austin Rauls of Deforest in a 2-point match.

The Place To Be

If you wanted action on Saturday, the division 1 regional you needed to attend was in Baraboo, Wisconsin. The finals at 126, 138 and 170 all featured returning state qualifiers with plenty of other of credentials as well.

The 126 championship was won by Jon Bailey, in a 4-3 double overtime thriller over Mason McMillen. The junior Bailey is looking for his third state trip, finishing 4th two years ago and 3rd last year. McMillen is a looking to qualify for his fourth time, having placed in 2016.

At 138, Pablo Ramirez bested Tanner Schultz, 8-4. Both are two-time state qualifiers but it was Schultz, not Ramirez who took down the Bi-State tournament this year, while Ramirez finished fourth.

Then, there was a the coup de grace, Hayden Krein and Kayln Jahn. Krein, a three-time state place-winner, one-time champion bested Jahn last year 8-3, in the back side of 160-pound bracket, before going on to take 3rd. Jahn settled for 5th. In their regional matchup, The result was the same, though closer, with Mommabear's son winning 7-5.

The Most Interesting Bracket in the World

When we last saw the 160-pound division 1 bracket, there were 5 potential 4-time state qualifiers (Jacob Anderson, Peyton Mocco, Zach Lee, Hayden Krein, and Frank Garcia) all ranked behind returning state champion Tyler Dow. I'm guessing they all had The Clash blaring in their headphones this week, as they decided "Should I Stay or Should I Go." Here's what they decided.

STAY:
Tyler Dow - 1st in the Sun Prairie regional
Peyton Mocco - 1st in the West Allis Central regional
Frank Garcia - 1st in the Kenosha Bradford/Reuther regional
Jacob Anderson - 1st in the New Richmond regional

That group, collectively, boasts a resume with 11 trips to state, two 5ths, two 4ths, a 2nd, and two 1sts. Not too shabby.

GO:
Zach Lee - 1st in the Kaukauna regional at 152. After winning the Cheesehead at 170, it's a little startling to see him all the way down at 152. He will not have a cake walk, as former state champ Kevin Meicher and former place-winners Josh Otto and Cade Spilde are still alive in the bracket as well.

Hayden Krein - 1st in the Baraboo regional at 170. Krein went the other way, doing something of a Krein Swap, with his brother and him flipping weights. Going down could have meant a sectional matchup with undefeated Kevin Meicher. (Krein's title did come after a sectional runner-up finish.) Instead, he'll potentially join up with the 4th and 5th place finishers at 160 last year (Jahn and Jake Deates, respectively) along with the 170 runner-up, Parker Keckeisen.

And that was just regionals!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:48:13 PM by Japanese Whizzer » Logged
mojo123
Speak to Me

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »

Great write up!  Grin
shift
Speak to Me

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

Excellent job!!!
Vipor
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:37 AM »

OUTSTANDING writeup ! This is what happens when a tournaments are seeded. 
jdwrestle
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

Well written!

The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

1Iota
Outside the Wall

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »

Wasn't Widmar at 113lb? 
old geezer
Speak to Me

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »

One slight correction. Godbout finished second at 220 last season, not heavyweight. He lost to Bohn in the finals.
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »

SUPER EXCITED for that 160 D1 bracket! The cream will rise!
Mommabear
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:18:37 PM »

Excellent write up!  I appreciate the time and effort that was put into this!  I am flattered that my son(s) were written about. 

The Baraboo sectional was full of great matches by great wrestlers.  The Bailey/McMillen match was a barn burner.

I also agree the 160 bracket is going to be fun to watch- I wish Hayden had been able to compete there.  However, I see the 170 bracket as being fun to watch as well.   Wink
bud
Outside the Wall

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »

Fun to read all this stuff!! Where do you get the time?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »

Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »

I was up 'til one last night. This time of year, a little sacrifice of sleep is worth it.
crossface21
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »

Wasn't Widmar at 113lb? 

He was at 113, but got sick and gained some weight and couldn't get back down.
Japanese Whizzer
Outside the Wall

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »

I should also point out that I've always kept the database, and once you have that, none of these posts take that long.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: