Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 25, 2018, 06:41:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIAC tournament question  (Read 283 times)
wrestler133
Wish You Were Here

« on: February 12, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »

I just read the article about Lacrosse winning the WIAC tournament.
In the article it said that in two of the weight classes Lacrosse had two wrestlers in the finals wrestling for the championship....what is the deal with that?   I follow wrestling on the boards here, but was unaware that a school could enter more than one wrestler in a single weight class.    When I was in school( ....a while ago), it was just the starter who wrestled in the conference tournament for a chance to go to nationals. 
When was this change made?
Why was this change made?
Does the school have to designate who their point scorer is?
Can both wrestlers go to nationals from the same school?

Any other details? 
I just find that interesting.
Thanks!
npope
Brain Damage

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »

Don't know all the answers to your questions, but I have a couple.

Allowing multiple guys from a team to enter at a given weight was to ensure that there were matches to be wrestled at the conference tourney; attrition had taken a toll on the number of teams and the number of competitors that were on the remaining teams. The "meat on the bones" at the conference meet was looking a little scraggly - hence the move to more of an open format.

Yes, the teams do have to ID a "point scoring" wrestler at each weight before the competition begins.

No, more than one wrestler from a given school at a given weight cannot participate in the NCAA III meet. That rule is different for the NAIA tournament where schools can enter multiple kids at a given weight.

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope
NutsoWrestlingMom
Speak to Me

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »

The WIAC Conference Tournament is not the qualifier for the DIII NCAA National Tournament.  The schools from the WIAC Conference will all be competing at the NCAA DIII Regional Upper Midwest on 02/23 - 02/24/2018 at Augsburg University in Minneapolis.  At that tournament, only 1 wrestler per school is allowed at each weight class.

At the DIII level, each school is allowed to enter 2 wrestlers per weight class at their conference tournament, though only one is a scoring wrestler for team points.  Not every school puts 2 wrestlers in at every weight, but most will enter two wrestlers any time they have 2 guys who can be competitive.  Here are the numbers for this years' tournament:
UW- La Crosse - 16 entrants
UW- Whitewater - 18 entrants
UW- Stevens Point - 18 entrants
UW- Eau Claire-  17 entrants
UW- Platteville- 15 entrants
UW- Oshkosh- 17 entrants

So yes, it is possible for the #2 guy at one school to place ahead of the #1 guy from another school, as was evident when UW- La Crosse put 2 guys in the finals at 141 and 165.  It just shows that some schools have more depth right now than others, and it does give more guys a chance to compete one more time before the season ends.  In some cases, if a school has 2 guys who are very close in ability and results throughout the season, I suppose it could end up being the final wrestle-off to determine who gets to go to the regional.
EIUwrestler1
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:09 AM »

And a 6 man or less bracket can be a boring tournament, I think its a great idea
bkraus
Us and Them

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »

They started allowing the multiple wrestlers in 2013, which coincides with the first year of the regionals.  The conference tourney is no longer the qualifying tournament.  I have no problem with the multiple wrestlers from each team, if they determine the team title by another means.  Maybe the duals since I believe they now dual all the teams. 

Strive for Perfection
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »

wrestler133
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies!
I feel like I follow wrestling quite a bit but apparently I don't...I had no idea about these changes that apparently took place way back in 2013!
Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: