Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 25, 2018, 06:48:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: littleguys ideas  (Read 2306 times)
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »

Sorry Doc, but I have to disagree about coops. Our experience between North Fond du Lac and St. Mary's Springs has been very positive. The Springs program was non-existent for over 10 years when we started the coop. For the first few years, we only had 2-4 kids from Springs. We are now up to 8 and they make up a little over a third of our team. We now can fill all 14 weight classes and have become a competitive team. Due to the success we have seen, our numbers are continuing to grow and the popularity of wrestling seems to be growing at both schools. I would say that we have successfully resurrected a program that was dead for over 10 years that at one time had been very successful.

I agree it is working well for you but you took on a school that had not had wrestling since the 1990's giving those kids an opportunity they never had. This added opportunities.   Springs will never add wrestling on their own again.  I am more worried about losing programs to co-ops today.  Springs program was lost 20+ years ago but I am quite happy those kids are getting a chance to wrestle especially after asking Fondy for years if we could include them in our program.  The other positive is that the schools are only a couple miles apart.  In these instances co-ops can work.  But in the rural world when schools are 15 miles away it does not work nearly as well.  Metro areas can make co-ops work much better and could be an option.  I am more concerned about losing all the small rural programs.  These kids rely on the local high school programs because getting to other high schools or private clubs are much more difficult for families to make work.  I fear some counties are going to have to go to one sports team for the whole county as rural population shrinks

I just notice a shift in my own coop. Years ago, we cooped with Brookwood (neighboring district), and had always had nice teams, with limited Brookwood kids. Then, Brookwood got a coach and they went on their own. Pretty decent teams, too. Now, We (Cashton) is hurting for numbers and Brookwood is moving up. Ebb and flow.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

LG I really like your ideas they have a good foundation to accomplish much of what is suggested or complained about. They can be reasonably implimented without removing opportunity for success. All good stuff.
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »

Littleguy, I am willing to put money on it that in a few years you will see WI wrestling thriving nationally. Not being a homer but Ben and AWA is transforming the landscape of WI wrestling for the better as a whole. Not to mention Jordy at Crass Trained is doing phenomenal things further up north. It may be pertinent to have those two gentleman get with the WIAA and see if any changes can be implemented.

not saying wisconsin will not be on the national level. I was directing my comments mainly toward what is happening on the high school level as concerns to what would make high school wrestling in wisconsin alittle bit better.

while I respect and admire what crass and awa has to offer and what they are doing, they probably will not have the ear of Dave Anderson or Wade Labecki. It is more the coach of any high school team that will have the ears of the WIAA.
Ben and AWA are far and away the best club in Wisconsin. They have multiple locations so they are meeting with more kids. They also are doing something no other club in the state is doing and that is helping people hundreds of miles away. You donít see Crass doing technique videos, and donít see Advance talking and doing Mental Mondays. High school coaches can have a bigger impact that a club coach because they have 5 practices a week whereas a club coach has a couple, but AWA is helping the whole state not just there 45 mile radius.

I will have to agree with what your saying.

but here is the problem, while the AWA is helping the state, I really doubt the WIAA officials are going to sit down with ben and hash out what needs to change in the high school level to change the high school level. that has to come from the coaches around the state.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »

I don't know if it has been said, but the conferences are a mess.  When you have to travel over 2 hours and pass literally dozens of schools to go to a conference dual that is broken.  You do not develop a rivalry with that.  You just ensure that the parents who can't get off work at 4 pm won't be able to make it.  It is academically unjustified and horrible.  It is not just wrestling, it is nearly every sport.   Then add the fact that our school is in 3 different conferences.   Oh boy, what a mess.  It is not in the best interest of the kids.  Then mix in the perpetual merry go round of the next conference you get assigned.   

yes I agree

would making those conference meets multi meets increase or decrease the actual competition of that evening.

honest question and would like to hear some answers

ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

I don't know if it has been said, but the conferences are a mess.  When you have to travel over 2 hours and pass literally dozens of schools to go to a conference dual that is broken.  You do not develop a rivalry with that.  You just ensure that the parents who can't get off work at 4 pm won't be able to make it.  It is academically unjustified and horrible.  It is not just wrestling, it is nearly every sport.   Then add the fact that our school is in 3 different conferences.   Oh boy, what a mess.  It is not in the best interest of the kids.  Then mix in the perpetual merry go round of the next conference you get assigned.   

yes I agree

would making those conference meets multi meets increase or decrease the actual competition of that evening.

honest question and would like to hear some answers

Well the NLC has participation issues that has been well established they tried a multi dual it filled in a few gaps but did not really change much some wrestlers with zero matches some with one. Some teams in the NLC would like to get out of all the conference duals meets and focus on individual Tournaments they want the travel time invested to produce matches not have allot of time invested for zero matches or one match. Thats why the 7-7 should just be a max match count up to the State Tournament series. Those matches can happen in any form. I am sure in other conferences multi duals work well but in essence aren't those just mini-tournaments called mini duals?
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »

Littleguy, I am willing to put money on it that in a few years you will see WI wrestling thriving nationally. Not being a homer but Ben and AWA is transforming the landscape of WI wrestling for the better as a whole. Not to mention Jordy at Crass Trained is doing phenomenal things further up north. It may be pertinent to have those two gentleman get with the WIAA and see if any changes can be implemented.

not saying wisconsin will not be on the national level. I was directing my comments mainly toward what is happening on the high school level as concerns to what would make high school wrestling in wisconsin alittle bit better.

while I respect and admire what crass and awa has to offer and what they are doing, they probably will not have the ear of Dave Anderson or Wade Labecki. It is more the coach of any high school team that will have the ears of the WIAA.
Ben and AWA are far and away the best club in Wisconsin. They have multiple locations so they are meeting with more kids. They also are doing something no other club in the state is doing and that is helping people hundreds of miles away. You donít see Crass doing technique videos, and donít see Advance talking and doing Mental Mondays. High school coaches can have a bigger impact that a club coach because they have 5 practices a week whereas a club coach has a couple, but AWA is helping the whole state not just there 45 mile radius.

but here is the problem, while the AWA is helping the state, I really doubt the WIAA officials are going to sit down with ben and hash out what needs to change in the high school level to change the high school level. that has to come from the coaches around the state.
Agree they don't care what the clubs have to say. They will talk to high school coaches.
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »

Agree they don't care what the clubs have to say. They will talk to high school coaches.

Except many of the coaches keep voting for the same.
panther93
Speak to Me

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »

I also think there are changes that need to be made.  At our regional last week we talked for about 20 minutes on the topic.  I've put a list of concerns and possible solutions together.  As I state in the paper, I don't claim to be the all-knowing wrestling mind, but after 20 years of doing this there needs to something done:

Link to our discussion:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pjl2-GoNkyEIU-bOU4IfnBvfDp44tWK5hGurnXi_YnM/edit?usp=sharing

imwi
One of My Turns

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »

I also think there are changes that need to be made.  At our regional last week we talked for about 20 minutes on the topic.  I've put a list of concerns and possible solutions together.  As I state in the paper, I don't claim to be the all-knowing wrestling mind, but after 20 years of doing this there needs to something done:

Link to our discussion:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pjl2-GoNkyEIU-bOU4IfnBvfDp44tWK5hGurnXi_YnM/edit?usp=sharing

Says we need permission.  You might be getting flooded with people requesting permission or go make it open
DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »

Great document and I would support all.  I would also add that no growth allowance or 1lb allowance for multiple days is ever given.  The weight class is what it is all year!

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »

DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »

In the end change is good and exciting.  Change will be different but it certainly is not going to make things worse.

Coaches need to make things easier on themselves, athletes, and athlete families.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!
CoachZ
Speak to Me

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »

What cuts more opportunities than anything?  Forcing teams to co-op and thus losing a program forever.  Very few kids travel to another school to practice and wrestle as part of a co-op.  Every co-op leads to lost opportunities in my mind.

This may be your opinion but it's not entirely accurate. Our co-op brought wrestling back to school that hadn't had it since the 80's. The school has a huge basketball following and we gave kids a chance to wrestle while not having to open enroll elsewhere. It can not sustain a program on it's own. I see it on here many times people talking how co-ops are bad for the sport and it's frustrating. We helped bring wrestling back to school that lost it years ago. I agree no school should be forced to co-op but all co-ops are not a bad thing, some are giving kids opportunities to wrestle.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 06:12:45 PM »

CO-ops are good
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:12 PM »

first thing I think should be looked at is

2 matches at state for all individuals and teams. This wouldnt be very hard to do and probably the easiest fix at this time.

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: