Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 22, 2018, 09:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIAA Mandatory Day of Rest Rule  (Read 585 times)
awaFan
Speak to Me

« on: February 09, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »

As a parent, looking through the Wrestling Rules Handout we were given at the start of the season I question this one:
d. Teams must rest from all physical activity for at least one calendar day after six consecutive days of practice or competition.
With the tournament coming up and our coaches talking tapering and peaking it seems odd that my kids are now being asked to attend open gyms on their off day from wrestling.  At our school baseball and track are now having weekend open gyms and skills camps.  Of course, the boys want to attend these, but should they?  Is it even legal?  Seems odd that the WIAA can dictate what kids can and can't do on their own. 
dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »

The wrestling team can not have 7 consecutive days of practice/competition. Open gyms where attendance is not mandatory are OK. Sounds like these are for other sports, so definitely OK to attend. However the wrestling coach may prefer they don't. A conversation with the coach of the current season would be appropriate.
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »

The wrestling team can not have 7 consecutive days of practice/competition. Open gyms where attendance is not mandatory are OK. Sounds like these are for other sports, so definitely OK to attend. However the wrestling coach may prefer they don't. A conversation with the coach of the current season would be appropriate.

+1

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »

Wait, you can't practice seven days in a row?  So in football, is the film session and lifting session not considered a practice? Now thinking of it, by having the kids lift after film study, they really weren't taking a day off from physical activity? 
dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

If it is on the schedule as a practice and considered mandatory (kids will be punished for not showing up), then yes they are breaking the rules unless there is a day off somewhere else in the week.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

If it is on the schedule as a practice and considered mandatory (kids will be punished for not showing up), then yes they are breaking the rules unless there is a day off somewhere else in the week.

It must somehow be legal since the HC is also an A.D. Maybe the film session is legal (no physical activity) and the weight session is considered open gym? In the items printed from the WIAA website I can't find anything about not being able to meet seven days in a row, just the line about taking a day off from all physical activity which seems over the top, IMO.   
dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »

Just because they do it doesn't mean it is legal. Lots of rule benders out there. It just comes down to whether it gets reported and investigated or not. Most of the time, there is not a whistle blower out there that will inform the WIAA of those rules violations because the only ones that know about it are on the team.
awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »

Just because they do it doesn't mean it is legal. Lots of rule benders out there. It just comes down to whether it gets reported and investigated or not. Most of the time, there is not a whistle blower out there that will inform the WIAA of those rules violations because the only ones that know about it are on the team.

Do you really think there are that many "rule benders" that get away with things?  The WIAA language is hard to understand and I bet many people could be violating rules and not even know it.  Like I said before, I don't see any language that prevents teams from getting together seven days in a row, as long as one of those days is something like a film session, or chalkboard talk.  If a basketball player has practice six days in a row and on the seventh day watches game film with his team and coach, followed by open gym basketball is that legal or not in your opinion?  How about a track or CC athletes running more than six days in a row. Heck, many of the wrestlers run seven days in a row if that's what it takes to make weight, right?       
dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »

It all is based on whether it is deemed a practice (required). Open gyms are fine.
awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »

It all is based on whether it is deemed a practice (required). Open gyms are fine.

Thanks for all the replies, but we seem to be thinking/interpreting the language differently.  If athletes (pick the sport) practice or compete six days in a row, but on the seventh day go to an open gym and lift, or run, or play hoops, etc. how are they "resting from all physical activity?  I'm not against kids being active, just don't like what the WIAA has for language since exercising seven days in a row seems like something they don't want? If they prohibit teams from meeting seven days in a row, I would like to see that language spelled out somewhere, and maybe it is?  A guy could spend their whole life clicking on different spots on their website to try and figure some of these things out.     
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »

dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »

Well. If I have learned anything in the last week, it is that everyone interprets the rules differently and you never know how the WIAA will rule on anything.
DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »

I think most interpret the rule as a in-season team cannot have team functions on seven consecutive days.  All coaches I know give at least one off day.  In wrestling it is mostly Sundays.  In football for us Saturdays are the off days.  This is for the kids in that current sport.  Our football coaches meet all day Saturday reviewing film and installing game plan for next week but does not include kids.  I would interpret a film/study or lifting session as counting towards one of those seven days but maybe some do not

That does not mean that other sports can't have "open gyms/training" on the off day or even on the same day of practice.  These should be considered optional but of course athletes feel compelled.  Out of season "open gyms" do not count on that seven day rule.

If you play football, wrestle, and play baseball/track here you would have the normal wrestling schedule, have optional speed training two days a week before school for football/track, and have baseball open gym on the weekend.

Many girls in basketball now are dealing with club volleyball practices and/or soccer/track open gyms.

This is why fewer kids are playing multiple sports and or there is no way for some kids to fit in a job to make some cash.  I used to practice Monday through Saturday and had Sundays off where I could put in 8 hours flipping burgers to make some cash.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!
awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »

I think most interpret the rule as a in-season team cannot have team functions on seven consecutive days.  All coaches I know give at least one off day.  In wrestling it is mostly Sundays.  In football for us Saturdays are the off days.  This is for the kids in that current sport.  Our football coaches meet all day Saturday reviewing film and installing game plan for next week but does not include kids.  I would interpret a film/study or lifting session as counting towards one of those seven days but maybe some do not

This is what is wrong with so many of the WIAA's rules...interpretation.  We have yet to determine without a doubt if there is an issue with teams meeting seven days in a row.  We have yet to determine without a doubt if it is legal for a wrestler to run or lift seven days in a row.  Should it really be this confusing?   
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

This is what is wrong with so many of the WIAA's rules...interpretation.  We have yet to determine without a doubt if there is an issue with teams meeting seven days in a row.  We have yet to determine without a doubt if it is legal for a wrestler to run or lift seven days in a row.  Should it really be this confusing?   

This is (and always has been) an issue with rules of any kind, from any source.  Consider the 10 Commandments, for example.  The WIAA is understandably incapable of fixing man's natural tendencies. 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

awaFan
Speak to Me

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

This is (and always has been) an issue with rules of any kind, from any source.  Consider the 10 Commandments, for example.  The WIAA is understandably incapable of fixing man's natural tendencies. 

Do you really think it would be hard to write something like?: Teams must have at least one day off of coach/athlete contact after six consecutive days of practice, and/or competitions. Again, I'm not saying I believe this should be the case - just don't care for the ambiguity of the current language and that we have some schools mad at other schools because every one has their own interpretation of the rules as written.         

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: