Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
February 25, 2018, 06:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season start date  (Read 1788 times)
goldmedal
Speak to Me

« on: February 07, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »

I have said this for past 10 years and I believe it more now than ever our HS season needs to start the Monday after Thanksgiving and end the same time it does now. We keep talking about participation numbers and there is absolutely no doubt that numbers would increase at lot of schools if the season was shorter for lot of reasons. Its not just about those that hunt its just plain and simply kids need a break from all the different sports that they do thus those out for football, CC or any other activity they do in fall. The die hard wrestlers are still going to do there club stuff which is great, there going to do it anyway. Not to mention coaches longevity will be better as well. This would of passed a year ago because a questionnaire was sent out to all the coaches and had to be a certain majority in favor in order for the advisory committee to recommend this to WIAA. That questionnaire came back with 70% in favor but certain coaches/people that were opposed to this happening put the brakes on it and said wait not everyone understood the question, which I think was pretty straight forward. Do you want the season to start two weeks later or not. So another questionnaire was sent out to the coaches proposing the same question but highlighting things so that in change coaches minds by stating do realize your pay could be effected if season starts later. I highly doubt that would happen when you compare the time a wrestling coach puts in vs any other sport especially all the Saturdays. It also stated realize the season will ends at same time it doesn't  go two weeks longer. I believe there was another one or two things to paint a negative picture and said nothing about the positives of starting two weeks later. When that vote came back it was 51% to 49% so not enough to make the change. I believe this is something that needs to be addressed again and voted on by the coaches without just stating the negatives but the positives as well. We keep seeing programs with less and less numbers thus I will guarantee this would increase numbers, kids will be more eager to wrestle when they have more of a break and the season isn't so long. The only thing we give up is the first weekend in December because the WIAA was willing to reduce the number of practices to I believe 7 instead of 10.
DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

I like the idea greatly.  Such a tough start to expect families to make sacrifices over deer hunting and Thanksgiving.  Not getting support from parents to go out for wrestling because it is going to affect deer hunting, Thanksgiving, and Christmas break.

We have struggled recently because of our football team's success leading to no break for athletes.  They want a break and then you tell them they can't go deer hunting and need to be at practice over Thanksgiving.   Honestly basketball has the same issues with these holidays and pisses off many.  Our basketball teams play a scrimmage on deer hunting opener during the day and then play after Thanksgiving and many kids and parents hate it.  Both sports are losing out on the non diehards.

With that said, I think some coaches just need to take the initiative.  You do not have to start practice until when you want to.  Ask your conference to push back or reschedule your first dual and start late.  If you wanted you could have optional open mats those two weeks for those that want to get a jump on their season.

If I was coaching I would start Monday after Thanksgiving and get after until Christmas.  I would give off Christmas break and then come back fresh and give it all for January and February.  I think more kids would do it and we would have more happy coaches with happy families.  I would not do the maximum events and find Friday night events or other match options to free up weekends.  Just can't convince me that 1-2 more tournament(s) and 3-6 more matches is going to be the difference come regionals.

Wrestling is the toughest sport mentally and physically and comes at a time with holidays, fatigue, school work/finals, etc.  All things that spring and fall sports do not have to deal with.  Wrestling also takes up the most time of any sport for commitment with long Saturdays and getting up early.

We need changes to draw in wrestlers AND coaches!

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!
dforsythe
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »

I totally agree. Let's start the season after Thanksgiving.
thomer
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »

Im all for it! This last year we made level 4 playoffs and I could see by Christmas a couple of my boys were burning out fast! We ended up with nothing over Christmas break for the first time in 17 seasons and I think it helped greatly rest my athletes up!
mhsfan2
Speak to Me

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »

I agree with the later start also. Kids need some free time. This would probally open the door for some more pre season tourneys for the die hards.  Its a long season for the kids who were not raised their whole life for this.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »

DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »

Those that live and breath wrestling could work with clubs for those two extra weeks of pre-season or maybe attend open mats.  Mat time should still be available for most that want it.

As far as taking off Christmas break, I think it would work well to work around the new WIAA rule that allows athletes to attend I believe two "open" tournaments" in season.  I think it would be great if one or multiple of the present holiday tournaments became an "open" tournament allowing wrestlers whose teams take Christmas break off to compete over the break.

I think there would be a great opportunity for one of the colleges to host an "open" tournament over the holidays.  Not sure on all the legalities but seems like something could be worked out to give coaches and non diehard wrestlers a break over the holidays and a chance to compete unattached in mid-season holiday tournament for those wanting to compete.

Meeting the needs of all levels of commitments with opportunities leads to a healthier sport.  The sport is a great one for ALL levels of talent and commitment.  Lets be honest and realize I would guess that 80% of our wrestlers are "seasonal"

goldmedal
Speak to Me

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »

Doc you hit the nail on the head when you said 80% of our wrestlers are seasonal and that is exactly why it is important to keep them out by having more time off and starting later and at same time gain numbers by those kids that would give wrestling a try if it were less of a grind. Believe some of us embrace the grind and that's fine there will still be plenty of opportunity out there for those kids that still want more through the clubs and open gyms but lets face it majority of kids are not in that category so until some people can come to that realization the better off our sport will be.
goldmedal
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »

Bump
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »

I kind of like starting after thanksgiving also.

The kids that want to wrestle before will find a way to get mat time in. There is always open mats to start the high school season before thanksgiving.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »

This makes a lot of sense.

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »

DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »

Getyourpoints,

I like your passion but your focus always seems to be on "opportunities" for the best wrestlers so I assume you mean scholarships and how these kids compare to other states.

There are so few wrestlers in that "opportunity" that it is difficult to manage the sport with those in mind but the truth is that those "opportunities" are earned outside the WI season.  Those opportunities are earned in the summer and at pre-season and post-season national events.  Shortening the season may actually encourage more for the studs to go to the pre-season or post-season tournaments.

As far as in season, teams would still have the opportunity to wrestle out of state at the Dvorak or Minnesota Christmas Tourney, etc.  The best wrestlers will still be prepared for these events.

I guess I just don't see a shorter season hurting our best wrestlers because they will still have opportunities if they want them.  Imagine a public school like Kaukauna or a private club hosting a pre-season camp for those first two weeks and drawing in all the best (or anyone that wants to) from around the area that want to wrestle early.  Would it not help those kids more than if they were all stuck in their own wrestling rooms with less competition.

Finding opportunities for the best in any sport is not a problem.  They can find places to learn and compete any day of the year.

Instead of comparing to other states, lets lead.  Let's be the first to delay the start of the season to benefit the 80% of wrestlers/families that hate the start built around deer hunting and Thanksgiving.  Maybe we attract more coaches.  Let's be the first state to host a mid-season "open" holiday tournament(s).  Any college would do this in a second as they are starving for money! The best of the best competing for those college "opportunities" in gold brackets or having silver and bronze brackets for those kids that love wrestling but just lack the talent of the top guys.

Schedule seems to fit everyone with giving the choices back to the families and the wrestlers and the coaches.

handsandtoes
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »

This is such a no brainier it should have been done 50 yrs ago. Take hunting out of the picture. What about family travel for the holidays? What about going to grandmas and not being able to eat? It sucks now because of Christmas tournaments families can't take a family vacation. I know schools that won't do a Christmas tournament because that should be family time. And it should be! As for increasing numbers you don't need to focus on the "getyourpoint" guys they will always wrestle (which is awesome) but to increase numbers you need the "causal" athlete. The one who wrestles because it's fun, because his buddies do. And that is about 75% plus of all the kids out for any sport. Like they say about the MLB draft "if you don't get drafted in the first 5 rounds go to college, because all the guys picked in the later rounds are so the good players have someone to play against. LOL 
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »

dealing with the holidays is a hassle for the wrestlers, parents of wrestlers and believe it or not the coaches also.

coaches cannt fight what holidays bring in each family. Whether it hunting over thanksgiving or travel over thanksgiving and the christmas rush is something to behold also. Having christmas before, on and after christmas. Kids are missing practice here or there.

plus in this changing world, split families have to be thought of. cannt take going to a parent that they may only get extended time with over the summer and over the extended christmas break.

lots to take in for alot of people.

start after thanks giving, take a week off around christmas (like some states do now) and end the season some where around the same time as we do now.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »

dealing with the holidays is a hassle for the wrestlers, parents of wrestlers and believe it or not the coaches also.

coaches cannt fight what holidays bring in each family. Whether it hunting over thanksgiving or travel over thanksgiving and the christmas rush is something to behold also. Having christmas before, on and after christmas. Kids are missing practice here or there.

plus in this changing world, split families have to be thought of. cannt take going to a parent that they may only get extended time with over the summer and over the extended christmas break.

lots to take in for alot of people.

start after thanks giving, take a week off around christmas (like some states do now) and end the season some where around the same time as we do now.

Decades ago, when my father was coaching down in Illinois, he gave his team a Christmas break.  He was convinced that it kept them fresh for the last part of the season and the families were more supportive of the team because of it. 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: