Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
January 17, 2018, 03:18:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwestern 18 -- Wisconsin, 14  (Read 2293 times)
TomM
Administrator
Comfortably Numb

« on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »

Badgers' final push not enough in Evanston

UW wins final four of five matches but falls to the Wildcats, 18-14

EVANSTON, Ill.- The thick of Big Ten wrestling began tonight, as Wisconsin wrestling traveled to Evanston to take on the Northwestern Wildcats. The Badgers fought hard and took the final four of five matches, but in the end lost the dual 18-14 in many part to bonus points in the individual matches.

"I knew it would be a tight dual," head coach Barry Davis said. "It's the technical things we have to work on. You have to know where you're at and not give up the bonus points. Unfortunately that's what it came down to tonight and we were on the wrong side of it."

After the first five matches of the dual, the Badgers found themselves down 15-1 in a dramatic first half. Northwestern won the first three matches that included a tech fall and major decision, but Wisconsin found itself in a bigger hole when it was deducted two team points for misconduct and control of mat area. At the half, UW was back in the positive from an Eli Stickley 6-0 decision victory.

The second half showed the tale of two tapes for the dual, as the Badgers regained the momentum, winning four of the final five matches in a 13-4 run. That included a six-takedown performance from No. 6 Evan Wick in a major decision victory, as well as last-minute decision victories by Andrew Crone, Ricky Robertson and Hunter Ritter.

The 16th-ranked Badgers suffered its first defeat of the season, now at 4-1 and 1-1 in Big Ten play. UW will have exactly a week to prepare before the team heads to Ann Arbor to take on the eighth-ranked Wolverines next Friday. UW will then get one day off to prepare and make a stop in East Lansing to take on the Spartans of Michigan State

"I know we can bounce back," senior and ninth-ranked Ricky Robertson said. "We all know that no matter if you won or lost tonight, we all have to step it up when we head to Michigan next week. We have a week to utilize and fix our mistakes, and I know every guy will work hard to make those mistakes up."

#25 Northwestern 18, #16 Wisconsin 14
285: Conan Jennings (NU) dec. Ben Stone (WIS), 3-1 | NU 3, WIS 0
125: #10 Sebastian Rivera (NU) Tech. Fall Johnny Jimenez (WIS), 16-0 (3:57) | NU 8, WIS 0
One point unsportsmanlike penalties assessed to both teams after the 125 bout
One point Wisconsin deduction on head Coach Barry Davis
133: #18 Colin Valdiviez (NU) maj. dec. Jens Lantz (WIS), 13-4 | NU 11, WIS -2
141: Eli Stickley (WIS) dec. Alec McKenna (NU), 6-0 | NU 11, WIS 1
149: #4 Ryan Deakin (NU) maj. dec. Cole Martin (WIS), 19-7 | NU 15, WIS 1
157: Andrew Crone (WIS) dec. Shayne Oster (NU), 7-5 | NU 15, WIS 4
165: #6 Evan Wick (WIS) maj. dec. Michael Sepke (NU), 12-3 | NU 15, WIS 8
174: #18 Johnny Sebastian (NU) dec. Ryan Christensen (WIS), 2-1 | NU 18, WIS 8
184: #9 Ricky Robertson (WIS) dec. Mitch Sliga (NU), 3-1 | NU 18, WIS 11
197: Hunter Ritter (WIS) dec. Regis Durbin (NU), 3-1 | NU 18, WIS 14

NU WRESTLING: #25 Northwestern Upsets #16 Wisconsin, 18-14
EVANSTON, Ill. — #25 Northwestern (7-1, 2-1 Big Ten) knocked off #16 Wisconsin, 18-14, in commanding fashion on Friday night at historic Patten Gym. For the 'Cats, it was their first ranked win since topping #23 Indiana on Jan. 4, 2014.

Chicago's Big Ten Team started the dual with three-straight wins to open up a 12-point lead.

Redshirt junior Conan Jennings (285) started the Wildcats' evening on a high note, taking a start-to-finish, 3-1 decision over Wisconsin's heavyweight Ben Stone.

Redshirt first-year Sebastian Rivera (125) followed up that performance with a quick, 3:57 tech fall of Johnny Jimenez. Rivera topped the Badger 16-0, which marked the second time that he has beaten Jimenez since Dec. 29.

After Rivera's bout, Wisconsin was docked two team points for unsportsmanlike penalties. Northwestern also lost a team point.

Fresh off entering the Intermat poll for the first time, first-year Colin Valdiviez showed that he belongs. He commanded his bout against UW's Jens Lantz, finishing with a 13-4 major decision over the redshirt junior.

Before the intermission, redshirt first-year Ryan Deakin (149) went on a point-scoring frenzy against Wisconsin's Cole Martin, topping him with a 19-7 major decision. That pushed NU's team score lead to 13 before the break.

Tasked with putting the team back on track following two straight set-backs, redshirt junior Johnny Sebastian was faced with a grind-it-out bout against Ryan Christensen — a Badger that he had twice beaten this season. Tied 1-1 with less than 30 seconds left in the third period, Christensen was issued his second stalling warning, giving Sebastian the decisive, 2-1 lead.

It was NU's first win over Wisconsin since topping the Badgers, 33-9, on Jan. 8, 2012.

Northwestern wrestles at home again on Jan. 19 against Nebraska. The match is set for 7 p.m. CT at Patten Gym.

#25 Northwestern 18, #16 Wisconsin 14
285: Conan Jennings (NU) dec. Ben Stone (WIS), 3-1 | NU 3, WIS 0
125: #10 Sebastian Rivera (NU) Tech. Fall Johnny Jimenez (WIS), 16-0 (3:57) | NU 8, WIS 0
One point unsportsmanlike penalties assessed to both teams after the 125 bout
One point Wisconsin deduction on head Coach Barry Davis
133: #18 Colin Valdiviez (NU) maj. dec. Jens Lantz (WIS), 13-4 | NU 11, WIS -2
141: Eli Stickley (WIS) dec. Alec McKenna (NU), 6-0 | NU 11, WIS 1
149: #4 Ryan Deakin (NU) maj. dec. Cole Martin (WIS), 19-7 | NU 15, WIS 1
157: Andrew Crone (WIS) dec. Shayne Oster (NU), 7-5 | NU 15, WIS 4
165: #6 Evan Wick (WIS) maj. dec. Michael Sepke (NU), 12-3 | NU 15, WIS 8
174: #18 Johnny Sebastian (NU) dec. Ryan Christensen (WIS), 2-1 | NU 18, WIS 8
184: #9 Ricky Robertson (WIS) dec. Mitch Sliga (NU), 3-1 | NU 18, WIS 11
197: Hunter Ritter (WIS) dec. Regis Durbin (NU), 3-1 | NU 18, WIS 14
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:18:46 AM by TomM » Logged

Exchanging forfeits just is not that exciting.
"That's why they wrestle the matches"
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »

Wrestler63, lets hear your glass is half full recap on this performance.  They might beat Michigan State, but that’s probably it the rest of the year.
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »

Wrestler63, lets hear your glass is half full recap on this performance.  They might beat Michigan State, but that’s probably it the rest of the year.
I don't have one. They looked like crap. Barely beat guys where we should have been pushing for bonus. Gave up a ton of bonus points. Cole Martin wrestled up a weight against a stud in Deakin but besides him. Christensen wrestled a lot better against Sebastian than at Midlands. He got majored there and lost by a stall point. Overall very disappointing.
leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »

I agree, that was ugly.
billymurphy
Breathe

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »

The Badgers won 5 matches, exactly the matches we thought they would win but it is the losses that made the match painful, mostly
because losing to Northwestern puts us in the bottom half of the conference, which is disappointing. 
Jimenez has never improved since high school.  Why, I don't know.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »

mkm13
Outside the Wall

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »

Jimenez has never improved since high school.  Why, I don't know.

But yet there have been numerous threads over the years complaining he was never redshirted. 
Wisconsin Wrestling Fan
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »

I don't have one. They looked like crap. Barely beat guys where we should have been pushing for bonus. Gave up a ton of bonus points. Cole Martin wrestled up a weight against a stud in Deakin but besides him. Christensen wrestled a lot better against Sebastian than at Midlands. He got majored there and lost by a stall point. Overall very disappointing.

Did Christensen lose because of a stalling point?
dad 2 5
Us and Them

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Wrestler63, lets hear your glass is half full recap on this performance.  They might beat Michigan State, but that’s probably it the rest of the year.

Sounds like it but more importantly not producing offensively which continues to be preached by the coaching staff (be active and get on your offense). That being said, I like the improvement Ryan continues to show. And Stone stayed in it with Jennings which is an improvement.  

One more note. Has Ind. improved enough to beat Bucky? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:41:57 PM by dad 2 5 » Logged
Wrestling Thug
Speak to Me

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »

Sounds like it but more importantly not producing offensively which continues to be preached by the coaching staff (be active and get on your offense). That being said, I like the improvement Ryan continues to show. And Stone stayed in it with Jennings which is an improvement. 

On e more note. Has Ind. improved enough to beat Bucky? I don't think so.
I've said it before and I'll say it again! The staff does a poor job at developing great wrestlers! The Badgers are in a 3 way tie with Indiana and Maryland for bottom of the Big10!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:50:55 PM by Wrestling Thug » Logged
Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »

Wrestler63, lets hear your glass is half full recap on this performance.  They might beat Michigan State, but that’s probably it the rest of the year.

One more note. Has Ind. improved enough to beat Bucky? I don't think so.

Not sure what's going on with JJ. Hopefully he can get back on track!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »

wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »

He got beat soundly by Rivera last year, at Midlands this year, and in the dual. That seems to be a common theme.
Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »

I am not speaking about only wrestling Rivera. Johnny also placed 7th at Midlands last year, and has wrestled qualified for the NCAA's twice. He did not place at Midlands this year, and has not wrestled as well at open tournaments. He has it in him to do better...
BuckyMatt
Outside the Wall

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »

On e more note. Has Ind. improved enough to beat Bucky? I don't think so.
I've said it before and I'll say it again! The staff does a poor job at developing great wrestlers! The Badgers are in a 3 way tie with Indiana and Maryland for bottom of the Big10!

Sad state for the program that we are battling for Last, Second to Last and 3rd to Last place as a team  in the conference...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:16:17 AM by BuckyMatt » Logged
wrestlemania
Speak to Me

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »

I've defended Davis (or at least been realistic) about his coaching status in the past but you can't defend what happened Friday and if you're Davis critic you've got a buffet to choose from: getting the team penalized a point, having the team penalized another point, (11 to -2 Huh) losing the whole dual meet (in the decisive match) on a stalling call, seeing wrestlers who are starters and have been successful in the past regress and who are not wrestling well, even in defeat, not getting needed bonus points, etc. 

It was just wall-to-wall ugly, there's just no other way to describe it.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »

BuckyMatt
Outside the Wall

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »

I've defended Davis (or at least been realistic) about his coaching status in the past but you can't defend what happened Friday and if you're Davis critic you've got a buffet to choose from: getting the team penalized a point, having the team penalized another point, (11 to -2 Huh) losing the whole dual meet (in the decisive match) on a stalling call, seeing wrestlers who are starters and have been successful in the past regress and who are not wrestling well, even in defeat, not getting needed bonus points, etc. 

It was just wall-to-wall ugly, there's just no other way to describe it.

I’ve vocally defended him in the past, no more, sad that there is so much apathy amongst the University, Administration, and fam base. The State and the Athletes deserve better

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: