Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
January 17, 2018, 03:20:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drop 1.5% Rule Vote  (Read 879 times)
Lombardi
Speak to Me

« on: December 24, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

It's time to put the 1.5% rule to a vote.  There have been just short of 10,000 posts on the topic and still a ton of confusion and different interpretations. We've had our limit on the merits of the rule, how about using a poll to help determine the official feelings of everyone impacted by the rule.  Obviously there are a handful of supporters but it will be entertaining to see what percentage of votes are for the new rule vs against it.

Please vote only once and vote with a YES (If you like the rule and think we should keep it) or NO (If you think it should be dropped)  Feel free to comment as to why you voted yes or no

My vote is NO --- The 1.5% rule has taken something that was simple and made it complicated
Ghetto
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

If we use track wrestling, it becomes pretty simple. It keeps track for us.

The rest of the country uses it.

I agree it is more complicated but it’s not going to change.

So yes. I want to keep it.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »

Every change is met with a measure of resistance, as people adjust to it.  Eventually, it gets worked out and people learn to accept it.  This change is apparently complex, but potentially beneficial to the wrestlers.  Personally, I'll always choose the health of kids, over my own convenience. 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »

Either stick with it, or stick whatever we replace it with. Wrestling doesn't need anymore changes. New reffing /scoring rules, etc. aren't doing our sport any favors.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
brianhiggins
Speak to Me

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »

The 1.5% rule has been in the NHSA wrestling rule book since 2006.  It's clearly more healthy than the 1.5 lb/day rule that treats a 220 pound person the same as a 120 pound person.  The better question is why did the WIAA take 11 years to implement an NHSA rule?  So yes, Wisconsin should follow the same rule the rest of the country has followed for over a decade.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »

GradeTough
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

I get brianhiggins position. Should have been implemented years ago. This rule appears to be here to stay. Doesn't appear that many have prepared prior to the season started as the WIAA might have hoped though. 
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »

I dont think the rest of the country is using it. Many may have been but not all.

I think the Clash this past weekend ran into some issuses as to the different states and weight loss and weight allowance and how many weigh ins and such.

to many and, ifs and buts thrown out there.

It has increased the paper work for sure and has increased what an average wrestler must know also.

establish a minimun weight for the kids and just let them get there.

In all reality, I doubt many kids lost .3 pounds or what ever a day. They usually lose it the day before a meet. I think that anyone that coaches knows that. Heck you hear college kids being 8 pounds over a couple days out and bam!!! they are at weight in 2 days. That certainly isnt .3 or whatever you weight loss plan is suppose to be.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
Coach Q
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »

I believe the number is up to 41 states are now using it. The season is 6 weeks old can we give it a little time?? Yes, there will be a learning curve but I am sure by the end of the year the coaches will have it worked out.
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »

Agree with Coach Q! Was it easy like the other system? No, but we had that system for a long time. But the 1.5% is safer and healthier for kids. Once we get a little more time with it and work out all the kinks it will be better.
MNbadger
Money

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

Not to split hairs but..... You can like this or hate it but there is little to no scientific evidence to support the statement that this is "safer and healthier for kids".  You can assume this but that does not necessarily make it factual.
Submitted with all due respect.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

I am sure it is safer for the kids on paper but like I said, I really doubt those kids are losing the exact amount per day, more like a mass weight loss with in a couple of days before the weigh in.

o well, I say go for it and lets give it a try. Just another thing that coaches have to explain and some kids will have no idea what to do  Grin

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »

Of course it is healthier and safer than dropping hard in a couple of days. The gradual weight loss allows for only a reduction in calories and not huge drops in hydration. So the athlete can cut weight with nutrition just a small reduction in calories and increase in physical activity. To say it's not is just a statment based in ignorance of nutrition and healthy eating. Portion control fellas and lady's...........portion control.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:15:20 AM »

Hard to prove it's safety. That leaves what's unproven but covers one's legal tail...paper trail. Stick with it, and leave scoring the same for awhile.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
BSwagger
Speak to Me

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 09:14:02 AM »

If we use track wrestling, it becomes pretty simple. It keeps track for us.

The rest of the country uses it.

I agree it is more complicated but it’s not going to change.

So yes. I want to keep it.

I'm just a parent of a wrestler so maybe I don't understand but I have a small issue with the thought that track wrestling keeps track for us. My son isn't able to access his weight tracking and neither am I. Am I missing something or do you have to be a coach in order to see the weight tracking details? To be clear it isn't an issue for us because my son has reached his goal wrestling weight we sent but I know he was confused at times during his weight loss on what weight he would qualify for as he worked his weight down.
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 09:14:02 AM »

wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 09:39:38 AM »

Hard to prove it's safety. That leaves what's unproven but covers one's legal tail...paper trail. Stick with it, and leave scoring the same for awhile.
Hard to prove its not safer than 3.5 lbs per week. No matter how the kid loses the weight. A 106 lb kid used to be able to lose 3.5 and can now lose 2ish. How isn't that safer? Kind of a no brainer.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: