Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
January 17, 2018, 03:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The shift from youth wrestling to HS  (Read 787 times)
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »

The thing that bothers me the most with youth wrestling is sandbagging your kids.  Not sure if it is parents or coaches, but you need to rate your kids honestly and ethically.  I will give you an example.  We had a kid last year who was 2-14 on his life.  He is truly a beginning level wrestler.  We entered a tournament and he had two kids in his bracket that were labeled beginners, one was 42-4 and the other was a state placer from the year prior.  Those kids are not beginners and you are not doing anyone any good by sandbagging the kids.  Rate them honestly! (this works with JV tourneys too!)
Sadly it doesn't happen at just the youth level. It also happens at middle school level.
bkraus
Us and Them

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »

The thing that bothers me the most with youth wrestling is sandbagging your kids.  Not sure if it is parents or coaches, but you need to rate your kids honestly and ethically.  I will give you an example.  We had a kid last year who was 2-14 on his life.  He is truly a beginning level wrestler.  We entered a tournament and he had two kids in his bracket that were labeled beginners, one was 42-4 and the other was a state placer from the year prior.  Those kids are not beginners and you are not doing anyone any good by sandbagging the kids.  Rate them honestly! (this works with JV tourneys too!)
Sadly it doesn't happen at just the youth level. It also happens at middle school level.

Happens at the high school JV level too.  And bothers the inappropriate term out of me.

Strive for Perfection
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Happens at the high school JV level too.  And bothers the inappropriate term out of me.
If coaches can't be honest we might as well put everybody in a weight class and wrestle. It is a waste of time to rate kids if coaches abuse it just to win a couple extra matches. The point of rating kids is to get good matchups and keep kids out for the sport.
bkraus
Us and Them

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

If coaches can't be honest we might as well put everybody in a weight class and wrestle. It is a waste of time to rate kids if coaches abuse it just to win a couple extra matches. The point of rating kids is to get good matchups and keep kids out for the sport.

Exactly my point! 

Strive for Perfection
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »

Another thing that I think would be a good shift is get rid of all these youth wrestling tournaments. Youth kids are wrestling too many matches in a season and getting yelled at these youth tournaments. I would like to see smaller events for youth wrestlers like a dual. This would allow for kids to wrestle in a safe environment. I think we lose a lot of kids because of the crazy youth tournaments.
We have all seen that person at youth tournaments screaming, yelling, pounding on the mat, etc. Not good for anyone involved.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: