Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
January 19, 2018, 04:11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badgers vs ex-Badgers  (Read 4520 times)
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »

In hindsight, though, AD would be inferior to Mcauley from a high school recruitment perspective. That would have been Donny's recruit. Thank God he left. Lost two studs in one fell swoop. Ah well, he's walkin' on water someplace else. Rutgers is good. Beat Oklahoma, then lost to lock Haven. Hope Donny does well. But, he's not the end all be all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:15:59 AM by bigG » Logged

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
mkm13
Outside the Wall

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »

In hindsight, though, AD would be inferior to Mcauley. That would have been Donny's recruit. Thank God he left. Lost two studs in one fell swoop. Ah well, he's walkin' on water someplace else.

It is a good thing Barry saved the day after Donny screwed up with AD/McCauley and picked up Isaac Jordan the following year to wrestle 165...

While it is unfortunate AD did not attend UW (assuming he could get in), I am still very happy with who represented us at 165.  While Jordan was not as good as AD, he was great to have here.  Not sure if he would have still came here if AD did come the year before. 

bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »

That's very true. Jordan may have lost to AD; but he was a great wrestler we could all be proud of. Hopefully, not our last Jordan.

Barou
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »

In hindsight, though, AD would be inferior to Mcauley. That would have been Donny's recruit. Thank God he left. Lost two studs in one fell swoop. Ah well, he's walkin' on water someplace else.

It is a good thing Barry saved the day after Donny screwed up with AD/McCauley and picked up Isaac Jordan the following year to wrestle 165...

While it is unfortunate AD did not attend UW (assuming he could get in), I am still very happy with who represented us at 165.  While Jordan was not as good as AD, he was great to have here.  Not sure if he would have still came here if AD did come the year before. 

They both started at 157.  Possible that one of the two might have made the cut for the other hammer.

JHI Mafia
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

That's if AD wanted to go WI (hard to compete with Smith),and he could get into WI. Glad we got who we did.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

Japanese Whizzer
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »

Wyoming - Ben Hornicle - Backup
Wyoming - Dewey Krueger - Spot Starter

Ohio State - Dylan Koontz - Redshirting
Ohio State - Brady Koontz - Redshirting
Ohio State - Fritz Schierl - Spot Starter; Success in Opens

Iowa - Jeremiah Moody - Backup
Iowa - Tristan McDonald - Backup

Northwestern - Jason Ipsarides - Backup

South Dakota State - Anders Lantz - Redshirting

Minnesota - Hunter Marko - Starter, (5-9) @ 149, Injured?
Minnesota - Dylan Anderson - Spot Starter
Minnesota - Dalton Lunde - Backup

Northern Illinois - Jose Acosta - Redshirting

Army - Bennett Paulsen - Redshirting

Missouri - Jake Raschka - Redshirting; Success in Opens

Fresno State - Jackson Hemauer - Redshirting

Pittsburgh - Robert Lee - Starter, (5-6) @ 149; Career (31-36)

Central Michigan - Newton Smerchek - Not HWT Starter?; NCAA Qual 2016-17
Central Michigan - Brock Bergelin - Redshirting

Eastern Michigan - Mason Kauffman - Redshirting

Nebraska - Beau Breske - Starter, (9-4) @ 174

Purdue - Ben Thornton - Starter, (19-7) @ 133
Purdue - Jacob Morrissey - Starter, (16-11) @ 165

North Dakota State - Jaden Van Maanen - Redshirting
North Dakota State - Paul Bianchi - Starter, (18-9) @ 125
North Dakota State - August Peplinski - Backup
North Dakota State - Mitch Freidman - Backup

Wisconsin - Andrew Crone - Starter, (17-7) @ 157; (29-13) NCAA Qual as RS JR
Wisconsin - Cole Martin - Spot Starter; 7th @ Big Tens + NCAA Qual as RS FR
Wisconsin - Jens Lantz - Starter, (14-8) @ 133; Spot Starter as RS FR & RS SO
Wisconsin - Eric Peissig - Backup; Starter @ 197, RS SO season
Wisconsin - Mason Reinhardt - Backup; Spot Starter as RS FR, Success in Opens
Wisconsin - Jared Scharenbrock - Backup; Spot Starter as RS SO
Wisconsin - Jake Stilling - Backup; Spot Starter as RS SO & RS JR
Wisconsin - Gabe Grahek - Backup; Spot Starter as RS SO
Wisconsin - Devin Bahr - Redshirting
Wisconsin - Garrett Model - Redshirting
Wisconsin - Patrick Spray - Backup
Wisconsin - Brady Wetter - Backup

I figured I'd piggy back off of getyourpoints, as his post was the most comprehensive. I also found tons of guys no longer on rosters, such as Nathan Smith (North Dakota State) and Max Fisher (Northern Illinois). There are certainly a bunch of guys on D2 & D3 rosters as well.

That said, my larger point was always that we are way overrating Wisconsin wrestling, and that we should be thankful for the success the university has, given that lack of talent. Frankly, it's worse than I thought. I started with the 2013-14 college class and went through the most recent one (2017-18). I mainly used Intermat's recruit page, though I made a bunch of detours trying to find people, on various rosters.

The results? Wisconsin produced 4 NCAA tournament qualifiers (Crone, Martin, Smerchek, Morrissey) and 4 NCAA tournament wins (Crone-3, Smerchek-1)over four recruiting classes!

If you're expecting the state school from that state to be Top 10 every year, it feels like you're asking for too much.
Winston
Speak to Me

« Reply #66 on: Today at 11:09:31 AM »

That's if AD wanted to go WI (hard to compete with Smith),and he could get into WI. Glad we got who we did.

You already know what really happened....Hasn't that horse already been beaten to death?
« Last Edit: Today at 11:13:52 AM by Winston » Logged
sudden_victory
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #67 on: Today at 11:20:46 AM »

When Barry Davis started coaching, there were twice as many teams in D1, so as programs folded, a go getter would have taken advantage of the larger supply of potential talent. If his expectation was to have two All Americans per year, he should have raised it to four per year, but that would have been too much work, so he was content to just do what would keep his job, nothing more
 How anyone can make excuses for him after over 20 mediocre seasons is baffling.

Life is a bowl of cherries.
Winston
Speak to Me

« Reply #68 on: Today at 11:21:53 AM »

While it is unfortunate AD did not attend UW (assuming he could get in), I am still very happy with who represented us at 165.  While Jordan was not as good as AD, he was great to have here.  Not sure if he would have still came here if AD did come the year before.  

Don't believe the lie that AD "could not get into WI".....WI was his first choice, BD low-balled his offer, and AD became a Cowboy. Then Coach Davis lied to the Badger community by "insinuating" AD's academics kept him out. 3 D1 championships later (and a Hodge award) we are all left scratching our heads.  
« Last Edit: Today at 11:39:34 AM by Winston » Logged
Japanese Whizzer
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #69 on: Today at 11:43:31 AM »

When Barry Davis started coaching, there were twice as many teams in D1, so as programs folded, a go getter would have taken advantage of the larger supply of potential talent. If his expectation was to have two All Americans per year, he should have raised it to four per year, but that would have been too much work, so he was content to just do what would keep his job, nothing more

Well, there a scant few of us I guess, which understand "proportionality". As D1 programs folded, the pool of wrestlers shrank. Dare I even say that D1 programs folded because the pool of wrestlers continued to get smaller. All because wrestling has become less popular doesn't mean the coach from a non-wrestling state should get better. That's now how math works.
« Reply #69 on: Today at 11:43:31 AM »

Winston
Speak to Me

« Reply #70 on: Today at 11:48:24 AM »

Well, there a scant few of us I guess, which understand "proportionality". As D1 programs folded, the pool of wrestlers shrank. Dare I even say that D1 programs folded because the pool of wrestlers continued to get smaller. All because wrestling has become less popular doesn't mean the coach from a non-wrestling state should get better. That's now how math works.

Explain the success of Coach Kleven? The "math" you speak off didn't seem to effect his ability to win. 
Japanese Whizzer
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #71 on: Today at 11:54:47 AM »

Explain the success of Coach Kleven? The "math" you speak off didn't seem to effect his ability to win. 

Ah. You mean when the youth of Wisconsin never saw any NFL, NCAA Football or NCAA Basketball success? Seems relevant now....
Winston
Speak to Me

« Reply #72 on: Today at 11:57:44 AM »

Ah. You mean when the youth of Wisconsin never saw any NFL, NCAA Football or NCAA Basketball success? Seems relevant now....

You dodge questions better then a politician. Just admit your wrong so we can have a realistic debate on how it fix it. "Nothing changes, if nothing changes".
Japanese Whizzer
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #73 on: Today at 12:01:06 PM »

You dodge questions better then a politician. Just admit your wrong so we can have a realistic debate on how it fix it. "Nothing changes, if nothing changes".

I'll admit "your" was wrong in the sentence above.
« Reply #73 on: Today at 12:01:06 PM »

Winston
Speak to Me

« Reply #74 on: Today at 12:20:56 PM »

I'll admit "your" was wrong in the sentence above.

Angry Angry Angry....LOL.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: