Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
January 19, 2018, 04:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badgers vs ex-Badgers  (Read 4527 times)
Barou, bigoil and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
SP
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »

Jennings was a Junior Fargo Champion as a sophomore. He then backed it up with a couple of more podium finishes. Lost to Metcalf one year and placed 3rd. He was on the radar beyond Wisconsin.

Hartung was not recruited by J Rob until he had a great Senior Nationals. He beat a guy they were trying to land twice. That got him on Minnesota’s radar.

Anti-Inclusion Mafia
npope
Brain Damage

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 06:43:30 AM »

Jennings was a Junior Fargo Champion as a sophomore. He then backed it up with a couple of more podium finishes. Lost to Metcalf one year and placed 3rd. He was on the radar beyond Wisconsin.

Hartung was not recruited by J Rob until he had a great Senior Nationals. He beat a guy they were trying to land twice. That got him on Minnesota’s radar.

You are correct on Henning - I wasn't giving him enough credit for his pre-college years.

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope
Barou
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »

Did UW have any coaches at Senior Nationals that year? 

JHI Mafia
Barou

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »

This is a complex topic. One thing that hasn't had a lot of light shed on it is the fact that over the years WI has generated some "top-shelf" talent that has been recognized as such coming out of HS, e.g. AD, Konrad, BA, etc. Those kind of guys are heavily recruited by all of the top programs; it is tough to keep them in state. Keeping JT in-state was a real coo, IMO. So, when John Smith (or Cael) comes knocking on a kid's door, the UW simply won't have much chance - the force is not with BD.

That said, guys like Hartung, Baier, etc., (evidently) weren't on UW's radar - and they should have been (in hindsight). Those are misses that are hard to make apologies for if one wants to claim the UW knows DI talent when it sees it. As the only WI boy to make the NCAA finals under BD, Henning wasn't a top level recruit. As a home grown boy, he over-achieved...to both his and BD's credit. But that was only one (particularly notable) guy over 20 years.

But more recently, BD has brought in both Graff and Medbery both (out-state) NCAA finalists. They could have gone anywhere - but they chose the UW; BD out-recruited much of the nation for those guys. And before someone gets on here and says that the UW assistants, e.g., Brandvold, Ruschell, etc., were responsible for bringing in those guys, then those same assistant coaches are responsible for the "misses" over that same time period (I get tired of people demonizing BD while giving his assistants a pass for the current situation). They are all in or all out - don't cherry pick the situation.

So yes, the on the mat results have been very average over BD's reign. It is what it is - but you don't have to hang him or lobby for sainthood; most places are average...somebody has to be (by definition). Some on this forum don't like it (which is their right as fans), but others are comfortable in this "skin." That too is okay, IMO - people have differing expectations for collegiate athletics.

Good post.  Just to clarify though Konrad was not heavily recruited.  That was another case of J Rob and Marty Morgan having a superior skill set for D1 talent over BD.  His "scholarship" to go to Minnesota his freshman year was Minny covering the costs of his books. 

JHI Mafia
Barou

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

At the time almost everyone would have choose Thielke over AD as well. Obviously that didn't work out. I feel like BD has got some of the "better" guys based on public perception, but it hasn't worked out. That could be blamed on talent development, scouting, or some choices the kids make. I feel like lately(past two or three years) we have done really well with recruiting.

I don;t agree with you at all on this, maybe most WI people thought Thielke over Ad but I dont agree with that nationally. Obviously Smith didn't see Thielke over Dieringer!

So it wasn't possible to choose both Thielke and AD?  If BD had to choose then he mismanaged his 9.9 scholarship allotment. 

JHI Mafia
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »

At the time almost everyone would have choose Thielke over AD as well. Obviously that didn't work out. I feel like BD has got some of the "better" guys based on public perception, but it hasn't worked out. That could be blamed on talent development, scouting, or some choices the kids make. I feel like lately(past two or three years) we have done really well with recruiting.

I don;t agree with you at all on this, maybe most WI people thought Thielke over Ad but I dont agree with that nationally. Obviously Smith didn't see Thielke over Dieringer!

So it wasn't possible to choose both Thielke and AD?  If BD had to choose then he mismanaged his 9.9 scholarship allotment. 

BD was in charge but so many of you credit Donny with all good that happened. The Badgers had the #1 prospect in the country P4P and at the same weight as AD.

wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »

BD was in charge but so many of you credit Donny with all good that happened. The Badgers had the #1 prospect in the country P4P and at the same weight as AD.
Donny only did practices and made the wrestlers great. Everything that went bad was Barry you should know that by now.
Ivan Stankowski
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

How come no one gives Jared Frayer and credit for those years?
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »

Frayer wasn't around for very long, if I correctly recall. 2 years, wasn't it? Strength coach probably doesn't suck up the most glory; but I bet his mat time sure helped those guys who went to to toe with him. Great wrestler.

It's true, though, that anything that went wrong is on Barry; while successes are attributed to Donny. I don't see Donny setting the world on fire as an HC. Doing a good job (about as good as BD); but he's no Cael. So if BD can't coach, what made Donny as good as he was?

BD is a competent coach and that's why the longevity IMHO. If you're a non-wrestling athletic admin. and you see BD's record, you're good with it. This si why I'd rather see a slower transition at UW. There's no way in heck they're gonna oust BD and replace with anybody, anytime soon. BD hasn't crapped the bed; he's just not as endearing to many fans who want more and better.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:10:34 AM by bigG » Logged

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Barou

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »

How come no one gives Jared Frayer and credit for those years?

When they finished 4th in 2010 w/Pritzlaff and Frayer I recall plenty of "credit" given to Frayer.

JHI Mafia
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »

Barou

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »

I think why Pritzlaff gets a lot of credit for the "successful" parts of BD's tenure is because he was a part of all of it.  BD has had 5 top 20 finishes in his career.  9th in 2000 and 10th in 2001 when Donny was a National Champion on both of those teams and 9th in 2009, 4th in 2010, & 10th in 2011 when DP was Assistant or Associate Head Coach ('07 - '11).  I guess I don't see it as a coincidence but many do.

JHI Mafia
Ivan Stankowski
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »

He was the strength coach at Iowa and an assistant coach at Wisconsin from my understanding, the few practice that we attended Frayer was running the whole practices and DP was rolling with Howe and only Howe.
Maybe Frayer was getting some of the credit for the 2 years he was there I just don't remember seeing much of that, pretty much just DP Getting all the credit
wrastle63
Breathe

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »

I think why Pritzlaff gets a lot of credit for the "successful" parts of BD's tenure is because he was a part of all of it.  BD has had 5 top 20 finishes in his career.  9th in 2000 and 10th in 2001 when Donny was a National Champion on both of those teams and 9th in 2009, 4th in 2010, & 10th in 2011 when DP was Assistant or Associate Head Coach ('07 - '11).  I guess I don't see it as a coincidence but many do.
So almighty Donny missed out on AD. Must be pretty bad at recruiting.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2017, 09:02:09 AM »

AD was at the right weight, too. Mcauley was a hot ticket item his senior year. I wonder of Mcauley's absence didn't influence St. Donny's adios.

I liked Howe, though. Not a  ton of technique; but what he did really worked for him. IMHO, I wanted to see that aggressive style from the hiring of BD. I thought he'd bring us a taste of Gable.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2017, 09:02:09 AM »

Barou

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »

So almighty Donny missed out on AD. Must be pretty bad at recruiting.

He certainly missed on that one. Possibly the best college wrestler to ever come out of Wisconsin 2 hours away and you don't land him, should be a black mark on the whole staff.

JHI Mafia

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: