Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 17, 2017, 06:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, Ben  (Read 1776 times)
Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« on: December 07, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »

So, I noticed you're lurking around. I have a question for you.

Are you interested in coaching at the collegiate level?

I get that it's nice being held up as a program's White Knight. It makes a man feel good.

But, ... are you actually interested? You've been involved with the NCAA, obviously. You definitely understand how awful the bureaucracy can be. Is that something you'd like to be involved with?

A few more things. I know you're angling to get a big out-of-retirement payday with George St. Pierre, but I don't think the University will allow you to take time away to train. Also, I'm not positive, but I bet there are some conflicts with you owning a wrestling club that could, in turn, funnel wrestlers to Wisconsin (or away from Wisconsin, as you're doing now). I'm guessing you'll have to give that up. Not sure if they'll have a problem with you having a regular show on Flo, but that may be something you have to give up as well. Not sure.

Another thing is time. With the way you piecemeal your professional life together, I'm certain you are in charge of your own time. Being the head coach at a major university, you'll have a lot less control. Scouting will take you all over, not to mention the rigors of coaching. Not saying you can't do it. I'm just saying it'll probably be a sharp departure from the freedom you have now.

Lastly, I'm not sure about your finances. I have no clue how much you make with all these ventures, but if you have to sever a bunch of ties, you're stuck with one just-above-six-figures gig. You cool with that?

I ask all this for a reason. While it might prop you up to be mentioned here all the time, if you're not really interested, it's not exactly fair to all these posters holding out hope for you.

Would love your input!
Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »

One more thing, while I have you.

I'm sure Jacob and Peyton are going to love Columbia. I wish them the best. I guessing you're planning to funnel Keegan, Aidan, and Aric there as well.

I'm not positive if all the posters have noticed this trend, so I wanted to ask you about it. From time to time, you'll hop on here and take various stances against the current coaching regime at Wisconsin, veiled as they may be. Then, I can't recall a single AWA alum showing up on the Badger roster. Am I wrong? Did I miss someone?

Would you be willing to comment on the relationship the top instate wrestling club has with the University? I'm curious.
AlterEgo
Speak to Me

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »

I'm sure Jacob and Peyton are going to love Columbia. I wish them the best. I guessing you're planning to funnel Keegan, Aidan, and Aric there as well.

I'm not positive if all the posters have noticed this trend, so I wanted to ask you about it. From time to time, you'll hop on here and take various stances against the current coaching regime at Wisconsin, veiled as they may be. Then, I can't recall a single AWA alum showing up on the Badger roster. Am I wrong? Did I miss someone?

Would you be willing to comment on the relationship the top instate wrestling club has with the University? I'm curious.

Andrew Crone
yde
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »

Andrew Crone =  AWA alumni and current Badger.  My neohew Alex also wrestled for the Badgers, he was also a AWA alum.  There goes that theory.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:47:07 AM by yde » Logged
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Also Dentino and Krattiger are Wisco recruits who wrestle at AWA. Does seem like he his pro Missouri, but why wouldn't he be?
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »

I guess I'm wrong. Crone I had completely missed. My bad. I had Krattinger pegged as a "Higher Level" guy. I didn't realize he was involved with AWA.

Krattinger is the type of guy I'm referring to though, who had other options and ended up at UW. For walk-ons and less highly recruited gentleman, sometimes the local University is the option by default.
Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

Does seem like he his pro Missouri, but why wouldn't he be?

I understand supporting your university. I would. I only thought it was quite the juxtaposition to say negative things about the program on one hand, while helping ensure the best recruits head elsewhere on the other.

That said, with a Crone and Dentino as examples, maybe that's not happening. Just thought I'd point it out as interesting.
TeamJ
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Believe I saw Ben on twitter reply to someone that yes, he would take the UW job if offered.  I could be wrong.

I think all JapWhizzer has pointed out is that Askren and his club coaches and kids has given quite a few WI HS'ers the opportunity to wrestle Div I (WI, MIZZ, SIUE, NDSU, and a few more I sure I am missing)...why is that a bad thing?
benaskren
Outside the Wall

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »

Hey JW wont say the full screen name as it is considered a racial slur these days.

I would hardly call myself a lurker on these forums, I participate but am careful not to make it feel as though EVERY topic needs my opinion.  Im my opinion many on these forums overshare.

I am retired from MMA sans 1 more fight against a #1 to prove I am the best.

I love running the academy system with Max, John and Josh, but I also very much enjoyed my 4 years of college coaching at ASU and Mizzou.  I would consider coaching at the collegiate level but only in a head coaching role at the D1 level and with the roots I have built here I think it is unlikely I leave Wisconsin so that only leaves 1 option.  That being said it is a 2 way street and UW would have to want that also.

I really like Kyle and Trevor and have no relationship with Barry to speak of.  When kids who wrestle at AWA ask my advice I give it and some have ended up at UW and some have not.  I can tell you Mocco and Rashcka were not pursued at all by UW so there was no steering away on my part.

Have a good day

Ben Askren
2014 and 2015 State Freestyle Junior Duals Champions
Founder and Assistant Coach at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com
Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

Hey JW wont say the full screen name as it is considered a racial slur these days.

I would hardly call myself a lurker on these forums, I participate but am careful not to make it feel as though EVERY topic needs my opinion.  Im my opinion many on these forums overshare.

I love running the academy system with Max, John and Josh, but I also very much enjoyed my 4 years of college coaching at ASU and Mizzou.  I would consider coaching at the collegiate level but only in a head coaching role at the D1 level and with the roots I have built here I think it is unlikely I leave Wisconsin so that only leaves 1 option.  That being said it is a 2 way street and UW would have to want that also.

I really like Kyle and Trevor and have no relationship with Barry to speak of.  When kids who wrestle at AWA ask my advice I give it and some have ended up at UW and some have not.  I can tell you Mocco and Rashcka were not pursued at all by UW so there was no steering away on my part.

Have a good day

Hey man. The things you like on Twitter are public information. I don't believe, for one second, you're concerned about being "politically correct". As to the "lurking" comment, I meant that you were literally on the site at the time I posted.

As it is, that is the answer I was inquiring about, thanks. At least, when we discuss the prospects of you coaching, we know it's not wasting posts on a pipe dream. I realize college is different than youth wrestling, but seeing what you've done with AWA, it's obvious why you're such an attractive option to so many here. It's clearly the best thing Wisconsin youth wrestling has going, and I'm not even sure what second place would be.

If we are looking to indict the Badger program, that UW didn't even pursue Rashcka seems like the most damning thing I've read on the message board. It's one thing to pursue and miss out. Another completely to just "Pass" on a talent like Jake. So there's that.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

Barou
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »

Have a good day

Awesome!! Thanks for the unfiltered response.  You have my support if the day comes where UW administration wises up (and starts to care) and gives you the keys to the program.

So UW doesn't recruit a D1 talent like Mocco who is ranked first in his class?  Could he be looking at a full academic scholarship?  Wonder if it was possible to recruit a D1 talent and have it not come out of the 9.9?

JHI Mafia
Harris
One of My Turns

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »

Hopefully the future athletic director will be a state champion wrestler from Pewaukee named Chris who will make it happen  Wink.  You never know.  I for one, would love to see it.  Pewaukee is right next to Hartland you know.
BuckyMatt
Outside the Wall

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »

Hopefully the future athletic director will be a state champion wrestler from Pewaukee named Chris who will make it happen  Wink.  You never know.  I for one, would love to see it.  Pewaukee is right next to Hartland you know.
+1000000000
leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »

Rashcka just won his second open tourney!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »

stbird
One of My Turns

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »

Wonder if it was possible to recruit a D1 talent and have it not come out of the 9.9?

Yes, of course it is.  ROTC scholarships, academic, there are many ways to get a full scholarship other than athletic and this applies also at D2 and D3 schools. 

[/quote]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: