Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 15, 2017, 10:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honoring Coach Peterson Thursday night November 30th.  (Read 678 times)
beswres00
Speak to Me

« on: November 29, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »

http://www.ehextra.com/MobileContent/SPORTS/Sports-Articles/Article/It-s-time-to-honor-a-Marine-coaching-legend/14/37/43802,......not sure if link works. I put the article below.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:00:08 PM by beswres00 » Logged
CLC FAN
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

The link wants me to get a subscription to the eagle herald.  Which Coach Peterson?  I have known a few good ones!
beswres00
Speak to Me

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »

It's time to honor a Marine coaching legend
Peterson to be recognized before Thursday's wrestling meet
Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:00 AM
MARINETTE Honoring Al Peterson before Thursday's Marinette Marine wrestling match with Peshtigo will be better late than never.

From 1980 to 2008, Peterson was the face of Marinette wrestling. He practically built the program from the ground level up.

Let's tell it like it is Peterson was, to put it mildly, unceremoniously replaced at Marinette in 2009, and he found out during an interview with a reporter. That rubbed his former wrestlers the wrong way, and that same year, more than 100 of them attended a surprise presentation on Peterson's behalf.

Brian Walters, finance director of the Marinette School District, organized Thursday's event to honor Peterson. It will begin at 6 p.m., and the match will start at 6:30. The pep band will play and there might be a few speeches by Peterson's former wrestlers.

"Quite frankly this is long overdue," said Bob Schomaker, one of Peterson's state medalists at Marinette.

Walters didn't wrestle past middle school but he grew to appreciate Peterson's legacy. Peterson left a big impression on Walters at a graduation party for Mike Olson another one of Peterson's state wrestlers.

"He was opening the car door for his wife (Julie)," Walters recalled. "And he said, 'I still do.' That's the type of guy he is."

When Peterson was replaced he had been coaching longer than any coach of any sport in Marinette Marine history (John Sitek has since surpassed Peterson's 29-year run).

"He helped me a lot," Matt Bedwell said of Peterson. "He wanted you to win just as much as you wanted to win. You could just see it in his face just jumping up and down if you won a big match. A hundred percent toward us that's what he'd give us."

Bedwell a two-time Marine state qualifier said there's no way he could have made it as far as he did without Peterson.

"He really loved to teach, even the kids brand new to wrestling," Bedwell said. "A lot of kids had troubles going on with all kinds of stuff. I'm sure they looked to him as a father figure."

Peterson mentored his former Marine assistant coach, Warren Howard, who went on to have good success as Peshtigo's head coach. Peterson also helped spawn the coaching career of one of his Marine wrestlers, Tim McFadden, who coaches an elite girls' wrestling travel team.

"He was a big inspiration on what I do now," McFadden said. "So he was a great role model on and off the mat."

McFadden describes Peterson's coaching style as "aggressive, heartfelt and personal. He's very boisterous. It's pretty much how I coach now," McFadden said. "He wasn't doing it just for the paycheck he was doing it to mold the kids into being good citizens."

Schomaker still admires Peterson's passion for coaching.

"Very enthusiastic, full of energy," Schomaker said. "Just loved coaching the kids. You couldn't stop him. I think back, and holy moly, I don't think I could ever do what he did. I look at the program, how hard it is to deal with teen-agers and I was one of them I think it's amazing. It takes a lot to get up in the morning and commit to doing that. It's nothing short of amazing to do what he did."

As Schomaker describes it, there are two types of coaches do-ers, and those who prefer to explain. Peterson is a do-er.

"He used to wrestle us like he was one of the guys," Bedwell said. "He went to show you something and he'd actually wrestle you and show you how to do it. I think he was living it through us that's what it seemed like. He was a great guy, too."

Peterson's practices were tough, so some kids quit.

"If they wanted to put forth the effort he was there for you," Bedwell said.

When Peterson coached at Marinette, the Marines were a small Division 1 school wrestling in a brutally tough Bay Conference. Their path to state was always blocked by wrestlers from Wisconsin Rapids, which built a wrestling dynasty.

For many years, Peterson taught students with special needs in the Marinette School District. Whether working with a kid with special needs or a wrestler, Peterson has a knack for bringing out the best in them.

"He just had a way of connecting with kids, and treated them well," Walters said.

beswres00
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »

Thank you for letting me know about the trouble with the link!
CLC FAN
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »

Great article!
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: