Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 15, 2017, 10:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-sport athletes are coming out on top  (Read 1026 times)
TomM
Administrator
Comfortably Numb

« on: November 28, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »

Multi-sport athletes are coming out on top

http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/story/13638

Exchanging forfeits just is not that exciting.
"That's why they wrestle the matches"
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
imnofish
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »

Good article.  Besides the physical benefits, I suspect that many multi-sport athletes benefit psychologically, because they learn to handle pressure in a variety of contexts and have less riding on any one sport. 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

I liked the part of the Artical that said there three sports this mainly apply's to is Football, track, and lacrosse. I noticed it dint include Soccer, baseball, Basketball and wrestling that typically require more time. I also liked how it said most college football players specialize at age 14.8 the end of there 8th grade year, so only one sport all of high school except for the freak athletes.
I don't think many of your top tear recruits in wrestling do much more then wrestling. I know my son will most likely play football, wrestle and maybe track but I don't look down on those who choose a sport that the want to focus on.
The author of the article also talks about how no sport truly needs 10,000 hours of training. If you look up the article he is referring to he said sports like Lacrosse and football need 4000 hours along with most sports but he said wrestling needs 6000 hours 30% more time. 2000 hours divided by 1.5 hours of practice says you need 165 more practices a year from 4-12 grade to be elite.
Just saying.
BSwagger
Speak to Me

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »

We are from a very small school that has recently moved from 11 man to 8 man football. We are already combined with another school for wrestling and my son is the only kid from his high school that participates in wrestling. I am thankful that my son is a multi sport athlete because in these smaller schools athletics are not going to be able to survive as they are today without multi sport athletes.
ChargerDad
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

Good article.  Besides the physical benefits, I suspect that many multi-sport athletes benefit psychologically, because they learn to handle pressure in a variety of contexts and have less riding on any one sport. 

I believe that to be true.  My son plays 3 sports, and will likely do so in HS..  He wrestles, and plays football and baseball.  I believe each of the sports he plays provides benefit to the others.  The pressure situations he has been in on the mat from a young age make taking the mound with runners on base in a close game seem like less of a big deal..  wrestling obviously helped with football too, but football helps wrestling too from a physicality perspective..  coming to the plate down by 1 late in the game, well that translates back to wrestling too..  I think most of our kids aren't put in enough pressure situations without a parent or coach making it worse..  I believe putting kids in pressure situation with coaches and parents that remain calm and supportive, and letting them come to think nothing of those situations will help them in HS in whatever sport they face, and in life, and doing it in multiple sports is a good thing.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: