Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 15, 2017, 11:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do we have to lose besides the Season?  (Read 1226 times)
neutral
Money

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »

I understand that it's the name of a wrestling/judo move - but perhaps it should be removed.
I'm not PC - but anything you wouldn't say in a quiet room full of diverse people ... shouldn't be posted on this forum.
Certainly shouldn't be a poster's name.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:20:47 PM by neutral » Logged

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 07:07:23 AM »

What I find ironic is somebody with a handle of Jap Whizzer posting about political correctness.

Hmmm.

You know a Japanese Whizzer is a real wrestling move, right? Also, and this is going to blow your mind, it comes from the sport of Judo, which is ... Japanese!!!!!

If you think shortening "Japanese" to "Jap" is inherently offensive, ... well... you shouldn't. It's just a commonly used abbreviation.

I tend to agree with your assessment of CK's position - but I don't agree with his choice of forums for expressing those emotionally charged opinions. That's his workplace and if any of us were to similarly stand up in our offices on a regular basis and make obvious politically-charged statements we would be subject to employer discipline. Take it outside to a different forum.

As for the defense of the word "Jap," sorry, but it offends a lot of people (doesn't offend me, but it does offend many). Yes, it is a word used to describe a wresting move, but it still offends a lot of people. You can also argue that it doesn't offend many people, but that argument is the very same one used to describe the negative connotations of the term n***** (a word that so charged that people will not even spell-it-out, even within the context of an emotionless discussion). The actual roots of the word does bear negative connotations, but it quickly changed to carry negative associations and eventually morphed into the "atomic bomb of offensive terms." Just because it is a derivation of an objective, on-offensive term (Nigerian, negro, etc.) does not give it a pass as a currently offensive term.

I agree with you that many people are overly sensitive to both terms in question, but I am neither black nor Japanese, so I cannot truly understand their experience. Maybe they are being overly PC...but I will give them their space on this and respect their sensitivities because it more specifically affects them...just as I would hope others might cut me some slack if I have some similar issues in the future.

I'm with you. I don't get political at work and the people that work with me don't get preachy, either. A school is no place for politics save for a social studies class.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Japanese Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

How far back do you think we'd have to go to return to a time where "All people should be treated equally by the police" wasn't a political statement?
maggie
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

G... Cheesy   Smiley  A school is no place for politics save for a social studies class  Shocked   Social class is held in a school...

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
 "" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
 "" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »

I forgot about athletics. One of the more political sides of any school district.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »

maggie
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

i hear ya   
 Wink

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
 "" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND