Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
September 24, 2017, 05:54:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intrasquad Scrimmage October 26th  (Read 1290 times)
Wisconsin Wrestling Fan
Another Brick in the Wall

« on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »

Per Tuesdays with Barry...

"Our intrasquad scrimmage will be held on Thursday, October 26th at 7pm in the Field House. This event is open to the public, come get the first look at our 2017-18 team."
leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

So if wrestler "A" beats wrestler "B",  he goes on to be the Badger starter?
mkm13
Outside the Wall

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »

Assuming Robertson goes back to 184, it would be interesting to see Reinhardt/Ritter wrestle for 197 and Christensen/Covaciu wrestle for 174.  I would think both would be competitive. 

The upper weights seem to have a lot of competitive guys.  With additional experience, it would be nice to see one or two of them become a top 10 wrestler at their weight.
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »

Assuming Robertson goes back to 184, it would be interesting to see Reinhardt/Ritter wrestle for 197 and Christensen/Covaciu wrestle for 174.  I would think both would be competitive. 

The upper weights seem to have a lot of competitive guys.  With additional experience, it would be nice to see one or two of them become a top 10 wrestler at their weight.
I wouldn't assume that Ricky beats Ritter. Ritter and Reinhardt are at the same level as Ricky and it will be a battle to see who gets the spots if it is a true wrestle off.
dad 2 5
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »

So if wrestler "A" beats wrestler "B",  he goes on to be the Badger starter?

it is a scrimmage, not a wrestle-off Wink
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »

lizard king
Outside the Wall

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »

Seems like every year there is confusion about this.  It is not a wrestle off.  It may influence the coaches, fans, or even wrestlers but the coaches will do what ever they want for what ever reason when it comes down to it.  They have complete say and people need to realize/remember that.
billymurphy
Breathe

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »

A wrestle off is a very accurate and fair way of determining the better wrestler. 
But using the word "scrimmage" changes everything.
fightfightfight
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »

A wrestle off is a very accurate and fair way of determining the better wrestler. 

I personally think the more accurate and fair way of determining the better wrestler is seeing how they compete each day in practice and against outside competition in the beginning tournaments of the year.  Whenever two wrestlers are close, the coaches almost always seem to do this in the early tournaments where they can bring more than 10 guys.  If people don't show up because it is a "scrimmage" instead of a "wrestle-off", then I think they have bigger problems to work on.  I think it'll be a great night as the team seems to have much more depth than they've had in previous years. Can't wait!
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »

I personally think the more accurate and fair way of determining the better wrestler is seeing how they compete each day in practice and against outside competition in the beginning tournaments of the year.  Whenever two wrestlers are close, the coaches almost always seem to do this in the early tournaments where they can bring more than 10 guys.  If people don't show up because it is a "scrimmage" instead of a "wrestle-off", then I think they have bigger problems to work on.  I think it'll be a great night as the team seems to have much more depth than they've had in previous years. Can't wait!
Agree on everything you said. The exciting thing will be instead of matchups with blowouts I believe we will get a lot of competitive matchups. The reason for this is our backups are much better than they have been for quite awhile. Look at Stone last year he was a backup but pinned Kasper an All American. Reinhardt last year was a backup and beat multiple national qualifiers and ranked wrestlers. That also pushes the starter to be better and work harder.
npope
Brain Damage

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

Many years ago (under Kleven) I was on the UW squad without any money. There was a guy who came in with me (neither of us was the number one guy at our weight). While I beat him in a wrestle-off, he got the start in front of me when the varsity guy was out with an injury. At the time, I was beside myself with the "unfairness of it all."

Only years later do I realize how the win in the wrestle-off really factored into all of this. At the time, I thought the wrestle-off was the be-all-end-all; that was the deciding criteria. But I was upset enough to confront Kleven on this point at the time; I thought that I should have been the guy on the mat. Now, I understand. The coach had "invested" in the other guy - he really wanted the other guy to have the chance to develop; it was more than merely who won the wrestle-off.

Even if Kleven could have explained it to me at that time, I am not sure that I could have understood his perspective. I do understand now. A coach is obligated to start the guy who is "best" for the program - not just because he wins a wrestle-off; it is more complicated than that.

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Many years ago (under Kleven) I was on the UW squad without any money. There was a guy who came in with me (neither of us was the number one guy at our weight). While I beat him in a wrestle-off, he got the start in front of me when the varsity guy was out with an injury. At the time, I was beside myself with the "unfairness of it all."

Only years later do I realize how the win in the wrestle-off really factored into all of this. At the time, I thought the wrestle-off was the be-all-end-all; that was the deciding criteria. But I was upset enough to confront Kleven on this point at the time; I thought that I should have been the guy on the mat. Now, I understand. The coach had "invested" in the other guy - he really wanted the other guy to have the chance to develop; it was more than merely who won the wrestle-off.

Even if Kleven could have explained it to me at that time, I am not sure that I could have understood his perspective. I do understand now. A coach is obligated to start the guy who is "best" for the program - not just because he wins a wrestle-off; it is more complicated than that.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's be honest a coach also has to justify why he gave a kid 70% scolarship verse a kid that recieved 30%. Coaches jobs are on the line (well not BD) but competative programs hold coaches accountable. Lots of politics involved when money is involved
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's be honest a coach also has to justify why he gave a kid 70% scolarship verse a kid that recieved 30%. Coaches jobs are on the line (well not BD) but competative programs hold coaches accountable. Lots of politics involved when money is involved
Badgers aren't a top 5 team, but to say they aren't competitive? Come on man. There is more competition in the room than their has been for a quite awhile.
billymurphy
Breathe

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

I think it should be "best guy" up.  But, if you think the coach should play favorites (how I see it)
and put the guy that cannot win a wrestle off against his non scholarship teammate,
then like NPOPE's situation, it is not putting the best current best available team on the mat
because the coach wants his scholarship guy to get some experience (NPOPE understands the logic, but did not consider it fair).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:33:53 AM by billymurphy » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: