Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
November 22, 2017, 08:52:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaching Against Your Kid  (Read 1517 times)
BT
One of My Turns

« on: August 31, 2017, 01:36:47 PM »

Has anyone out there ever been in a position as a high school coach to have to coach against your son's team...or coach a team while they were on a different one?  If so, would love to hear about it. 

Everythings impossible, 'til it ain't.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »

Been in that position for some tourneys. I always cheered against my kid. Kind of a running joke. "Rip his nose off!" Good thing the refs were kinda in on the joke. Smiley you have to make that clear.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »

I have coached against my kid more than once.

local middle school tournaments and he ends up wrestling someone from his own team.

I usually tell the kids to work it out on their own, I encourage drill matches for the first 2 periods and live both on their feet for the third if they are wrestling teammates.

My son doesnt care and I think deep down inside he feels he can beat any one I coach  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin I will say that when I point out to my sons opnent what my sons weakness are, my son usually doesnt show them during that match so I have to out think him in up coming matches Grin

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
bkraus
Us and Them

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »

I had to do this a handful of times.  It was difficult, but I had my assistants coach against him and I reclused myself.

Strive for Perfection
TomM
Administrator
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »

I once considered becoming a recluse... but I didn't really want to withdraw from society or seek solitude, like a hermit.  Cool

That's why they wrestle the matches
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
I was in the best shape of my life once.
The thing to remember when traveling is that the trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you will miss all you are traveling for. - Louis L'amour
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »

Gutwrench
One of My Turns

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »

My dad coached at our rival school for something like 18 years, and quit when I got into high school so he could come to my matches.  He was a teacher at the other school, so the wrestlers there gave him the business whenever they were going to wrestle me.  Grin
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

I once considered becoming a recluse... but I didn't really want to withdraw from society or seek solitude, like a hermit.  Cool

If you become reclusive and sit out in the sun too long you could become venomous from brown reclusiveness.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Troy Grindle
One of My Turns

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

Tom,

I could see a hermit fitting you well.  But you would need to grow the beard out to ZZ Top proportions to look the part.  Oh, and also keep yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn.  But only yelling from the window behind a drawn curtain.  Never yelling from the front porch.  Very recluse.

And then there was that.
TomM
Administrator
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »

heh heh heh... good stuff....

That's why they wrestle the matches
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
I was in the best shape of my life once.
The thing to remember when traveling is that the trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you will miss all you are traveling for. - Louis L'amour
Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: