Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
September 24, 2017, 09:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Poll
Question: Who's the best club in Wisconsin?
AWA - 24 (32.9%)
Ringers - 8 (11%)
Advance - 8 (11%)
RT Elite - 2 (2.7%)
Xfactor - 5 (6.8%)
Crass Trainer - 2 (2.7%)
other - 24 (32.9%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Club  (Read 5107 times)
Ivan Stankowski
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »

Feel like we are still missing a ton of WI talent by not have clubs in north central Wisconsin.

Dennis Hall in Point and Arnie at Northern Exposure
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:29 AM »

Being an older fart, I never got to do clubs. I have had many kids go through LAW, though, and love their coaching.

Any of you younger studs care to share club experiences? I know better competition, better wrestling; but I'd love to hear from younger folks who've bin dare dun dat(if we have any that read the forum.)

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »

Being an older fart, I never got to do clubs. I have had many kids go through LAW, though, and love their coaching.

Any of you younger studs care to share club experiences? I know better competition, better wrestling; but I'd love to hear from younger folks who've bin dare dun dat(if we have any that read the forum.)
Big G,
My son is still young (going into 7th) and we have been in the clubs going on 6 years. We have belonged to a few and been to most. I find they are focused obviously sense they have more committed wrestlers and families. The coaches typically have a lot of mat time themselves and have had high level coaching in there personal wrestling career.
You really have to find the right room that fits your wrestle. Some of the clubs are very European style and scientific, some are very east coast with lots of drilling and some are light on drilling and do a lot of live. Some of the club coaches are a bit old school and yell and run a tight practice and some are more laid back.
That's why know one club dominates in the state. Each club has some hammers about 5-7 per club and they typically seem to be around the same age and weight. I can't think of a club in WI that's good at maultiple weights and ages.
Picking a wrestling club is a bit like picking a college, there all going to get you smarter but is it the right fit to maximize your individual talent? And is it convenient for your family? There are a few families in the state that drive several hours each way a couple times a week for the club they feel fits there wrestler. My son hates riding in cars so choosing clubs for us is easy, plus in the Fox Valley we have several good clubs to utilize. However we will be joining Combats advance Greco group that meets monthly and that going to be 6 hours round trip once a month . But at this point we are a wrestling committed family so that works for us on a monthly basis. Other then that we will stick to our home club at Aviators and pick up some additional mat time with Xfactor and Ringers along with a couple Askren camps.
Just us not for everyone.
leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »

all kidding aside, lets just all admit, if you want to be a state champion, you need to join a club!
foose4
Outside the Wall

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

all kidding aside, lets just all admit, if you want to be a state champion, you need to join a club!

Not true at all.......speaking from experience.

"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

Agreed foose
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »

Last year in D1 almost every one of the top 3 finishers is or was in a club.
What happened 10 years ago or even 4 years ago isn't what it takes today.
Razor Ramon
Speak to Me

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »

In this day and age. If you want to be "Elite" then you are part of a club team in some capacity. Go through the D1 State Champs in the past couple years and tell me how many of them did not train with a club team. Whether it's in-season or out of season.
foose4
Outside the Wall

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »

In this day and age. If you want to be "Elite" then you are part of a club team in some capacity. Go through the D1 State Champs in the past couple years and tell me how many of them did not train with a club team. Whether it's in-season or out of season.

I know of Bi-State and State Champs that haven't wrestled with a club at all during high school.  It can be done. 

"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar
Ivan Stankowski
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »

Quote from: leg turk on Today at 10:07:47 AM

Not even close to true, and I also am speaking from experience!!! I can sight many examples
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »

leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »

Not even close to true, and I also am speaking from experience!!! I can sight many examples

Can you give many examples from the last 5 years?
padre
Brain Damage

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »

Can you give many examples from the last 5 years?

Depends on what you mean by "club" kid. My three sons go to 4-5 preseason practices at World Gold every year...not sure if it makes or breaks them but gets the season started.

One was a state champ...one a placewinner and I have expectations the last will fall somewhere in there. They were lucky enough to have good partners in our own club.  Foose falls even more into that category as their own club was as good as going anywhere.
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »

2017 state D1 championship matches
106 aviators/Xfactor vs Advanced/Ringers
113 Advanced vs world gold
120 AWA vs Advanced
126 Ringers vs Aviators
132 Advanced vs AWA
138 Crass vs Advanced
145 Advanced vs LAW
152 AWA vs higher level
160 Advanced vs no club
170 Xfactor vs AWA
182 Advanced vs used be Advanced
195 combat vs AWA
220 Ringers vs no club
Hwt kangaroo vs AWA
Also the 2 no clubs doesn't mean they don't train at a club it's just not listed. So I can't say if they do or don't.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:29:27 PM by getyourpoints » Logged
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »

120 AWA vs Advanced
126 Ringers vs Aviators
132 Advanced vs AWA
138 Crass vs Advanced
145 Advanced vs LAW
152 AWA vs higher level
160 Advanced vs no club
170 Xfactor vs AWA
195 combat vs AWA
220 Ringers vs no club
Hwt kangaroo vs AWA
Also the 2 no clubs doesn't mean they don't train at a club it's just not listed. So I can't say if they do or don't.
D2 and D3?
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »

getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »

120 AWA vs Advanced
126 Ringers vs Aviators
132 Advanced vs AWA
138 Crass vs Advanced
145 Advanced vs LAW
152 AWA vs higher level
160 Advanced vs no club
170 Xfactor vs AWA
195 combat vs AWA
220 Ringers vs no club
Hwt kangaroo vs AWA
D2 and D3?
Lol dude give me a chance I am in meetings and trying to get data. Gheeez!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: