Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
September 24, 2017, 05:47:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Money; who's got it?  (Read 1934 times)
Barou
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »

It is the coach.......
Just stop lying to yourselves

What do we think the #1 thing is a coach can do for a program? I can make a very compelling case for that thing being recruit. Quality in = Quality Out, with very few exceptions. If "money" brings in better wrestlers, the team will get better. Period.

Not that Cael is a great example, as he is once-in-a-generation in nearly every way, but if he could build a program regardless of resources, don't you think he would have done it at his alma mater, where he was the head coach? Instead, he went somewhere with more money and a more fertile recruiting base, and lo-and-behold, we have Penn State in it's current incarnation.

Money matters.

Barry's recruiting woes had nothing to do with money.  I do agree, however, that there is a correlation in general.  He simply got out recruited, didn't recruit, lied about a recruit, or incorrectly evaluated a recruit when it came down to the Hodge winners and national champions from WI during his tenure - Hartung, Konrad, B Askren, M Askren, and Dieringer.  3 Hodges and 10 national titles out of that group alone and that's not listing the AA's.

JHI Mafia
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »

Not going to argue who he lost; but they weren't Hodges when he "lost" them. Perhaps he was outcoached. Either way, same result. I'm with you, Barou. We have been outcoached, be it recruiting ro what goes on the mat. On the other hand, everyone's been outcoached but Penn State.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Jap Whizzer
Speak to Me

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Who thinks there's a direct, strong correlation between money in a program and recruiting because ...

**SPOILER ALERT**

There is.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »

Obviously it makes a difference. Seemingly THE difference in PSU, Cornell, among others.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:18:50 AM »

We all know facility's make a differance in pulling in blue chip athletes so I think Ohio may be winning the money race. Ohio is wrapping up constructing of a state of the art 25,000 square foot stand alone wrestling facility. They have raised 7.2 million to bulid the best wrestling facility in the world according to Tom Ryan. He said the facility was designed to have everything a wrestler could ever want or need. He also said the facitilty wont win matches, its to insure the athletes how much they care about them.
So IMO I would declare Ohio the new winner.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:18:50 AM »

mkm13
Outside the Wall

« Reply #20 on: Today at 08:37:03 AM »

I am not sure who is winning, but both PSU and OSU are spending a ton of money. 

It was recently reported PSU offered Jarod Verkleeren no actually scholarship money but offered him a 4 year-$50,000/year contract with the NLWC after college.  If that is actually within NCAA rules, that is a huge advantage as for the teams without that money, the 9.9 scholarships is very limiting.

I question how that can be within NCAA rules and if I would even want the badger to do that if the club had that much money to throw around.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: