Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
September 25, 2017, 11:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headgear in college, yes or no?  (Read 1699 times)
Ty Clark
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »

The headgear rule, as it stands, is basically useless for protecting anyone. Most teams practice forever without them, then have to wear them in a match. The damage gets done in practice. Duck after duck, you're gonna bust that cartilage sometime.

Quote from: NCAA Wrestling 2015-16 and 2016-17 Rules and Interpretations Book
1.12.4 Ear Protection. A protective ear guard shall be worn anytime live
wrestling takes place (this includes practice, dual meets and all collegiate
and open tournaments). This rule does not apply to passive drilling or the
warm-up period before competition.

...now, I guess, it depends on what your definition of passive is.

"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »

Lots of passive practice. Kids wear them for competition.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
MNbadger
Money

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »

I had my wrestlers wear them for everything but running.  The funny thing is after a while most of them left them on for that, too. 
They kept them on when I was demonstrating as well.  Too much searching for headgear every time we came together for instruction if they take them off.  They take them off, toss them or drop them.  Leave them on, no time wasted.  Practices intense and shorter.  Another benefit I believe was less skin infections on the face.  They wiped their headgear down (disinfectant) at the beginning and end of each practice.  I believe the headgear makes for less skin to skin contact on the face where most skin infections occur.  We had very little skin stuff to deal with compared to many other teams.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »

The farm world can pose some skin issues, especially the worm. I don't see why they need to keep the headgear thing alive in college. Doesn't protect anybody. Let them bare their ears!!! Breathe free!!

Wear the gear if you want. Morgans with little tacks sticking out of the front piece.  Tongue

MNbadger
Money

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »

Ringworm is less of an issue than herpes.  Herpes tends to occur on the face, especially where the headgear (larger ones like cliff keens) keep some fo the skin to skin contact down.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »

bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »

I would think headgear would cause more abrasions than head to head contact.

MNbadger
Money

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »

Not if you are both wearing it.  It mostly covers the side of the head along the hairline where much skin lesions occur.  I don't have scientific evidence for this but it makes sense and on my teams I required headgear all the time.  We had less skin trouble than most other teams.

Oldtimer
Outside the Wall

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »

I'm with MNBadger about the kids.  My point is adults are big boys and girls and should have the choice on how to protect their ears... or not.

Beware of the northern sleeper
wrastle63
Waiting for the Worms

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

Not if you are both wearing it.  It mostly covers the side of the head along the hairline where much skin lesions occur.  I don't have scientific evidence for this but it makes sense and on my teams I required headgear all the time.  We had less skin trouble than most other teams.
Mainly because you or your staff washed your mats regularly, showered right after, etc. not because of wearing headgear.
MNbadger
Money

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

I seriously doubt we were the only team doing these things.  Actually, I should state I know we were not the only team cleaning mats daily, showering, etc.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:59:31 AM by MNbadger » Logged

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »

We never caught herpes. Just had to deal with the with clean mats, shoe restrictions and showers. Gotta be proactive clean. Don't see why this makes a college headgear requirement would help that.

You're an adult. Headgear or not; you should choose.

MNbadger
Money

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »

We can disagre to be certain.  Unless someone did a long term study who knows.  I am just looking at it logically.  The headgear covers some of the skin in an area where most skin diseases occur (the face).  If you restrict the skin to skin contact area, the odds of tranmission go down.

bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »

I can picture your logic. Temple to temple contact, and such, can lead to more abrasions. More abrasions-more sharing blood and bacteria, fungal infections, etc.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: