Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 15, 2017, 10:38:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st time reffing  (Read 4055 times)
Benjiboo
Speak to Me

« on: May 11, 2017, 09:31:44 PM »

Hi Everyone,
This is Benji Peak. As many of you know I had surgery in March to repair my torn labrum. 3-4 months recovery during my favorite time of the year (GRECO SEASON). So instead of wrestling this past weekend, I was a ref at the WI Freestyle/Greco tournament.
1st of all: I want to say Thank you to Wisconsin Wrestling for the opportunity. It was a great experience.
2nd of all: I want to say I have so much more respect for all the refs out there. So THANK YOU to everyone who has ever been a ref in a match I wrestled in.
3rd of all: Reffing is hard!! I left the Dells exhausted, both physically and mentally. Before the weekend I thought....how hard can it be??? I've been wrestling my whole life! Well, I'm here to tell you it's a lot harder than you think. There is alot going on, lots of rules to remember, and a whole lot of yelling going on around you.  (Plus we were short refs so there were not too many breaks.)
And you know what?? Sometimes the refs make a bad call. It happens!
So to all the refs out there... Thank you!
To all the Parents, Coaches, Wrestlers, and Fans out there...The refs deserve your respect and a big thank you for allowing us to do what we love.
As for me, I can't wait to get back on the mat and wrestle again.
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »

Mr. Peak,
I heard a lot of positive comments about the job you did last weekend. I coached a few matches you refereed and I thought you were on top of things and made solid calls and stuck with your calls.
Great Post Benji!!
Very proud of the man your becoming, tell big Tony and your mom there doing a great job.
Armdrag
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »

Great post Benji! Much respect for you!! Very insightful!......hope you have speedy and complete recovery!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:20:56 AM by Armdrag » Logged
bkraus
Us and Them

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »

Benji,

I am going to print this out and give it to you at every weigh in!  Wink  I heard great things about ya.  Heal up that shoulder and when your wrestling career has competed, I will buy you your first whistle and set of wrist bands.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:01:43 AM by bkraus » Logged

Strive for Perfection
GradeTough
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

Great post Benji! Very mature and a breath of fresh air for a young man to send out such a thoughtful message. Hope your recovery is going well and you get back on the mat soon. Your leadership is welcomed.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »

what I liked with your reffing is that you were very to the point, made the call and if a coach (like me) approached and asked you made good eye contact, explained the situation and left no doubt as to what you called.

I personally like those things, takes the arguing out of any questions and shows you were in control.

thank you for reffing!!!!!!!

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
madeyson
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »

Nice work Benji!! You did a great job, and I heard many people talking about how great of a job you did. You are a great role model for what Wisconsin wrestling stands for. Thanks for all that you do!
NutsoWrestlingMom
Speak to Me

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »

Benji, I had a chance to watch you ref a lot of the Junior matches (including a couple of my son's), and I have to say, you did an outstanding job!  I'm sure it felt a bit strange to ref matches between guys you'd normally be competing against.  You  conveyed tremendous confidence and maturity throughout the tournament, and your post continues to display those qualities.  You really are a class act!  I hope your shoulder rehabs quickly and you can get back on the mat soon!
colekaden
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »

Excellent job Benji!!! It was great tom see you helping the sport you love in any way you can. I enjoyed chatting with you after or just giving you a hard time after matches. Cool Keep up the great work!!!

Matt Verbeten
Wrightstown Wrestling

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler
Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: