Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
December 16, 2017, 04:05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Singlets v. Fight Shorts  (Read 2053 times)
Preparewrestlingcoach
Speak to Me

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »

We practice in shorts every day. Rarely in the 30+ years I've been involved in the sport did a kid get injured because of the shorts. I can think of one broken finger.

Going to fight shorts is a step in the right direction for this sport. We have to start trying things to keep it going

+1
Wrestlers spend more time competing or should I say wrestling live in shorts than they do singlets...one could go as far to say that it is more "natural" for kids to wrestle in shorts. I've coached athletes who have wrestled for 10+ years and still felt awkward wrestling in singlets...Fight shorts are a needed adaption at this point.
DocWrestling
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

I agree.  Refs can monitor too baggy of shorts.  Kids will adapt.  Will have minimal change in styles and outcomes of matches.

I always picture old school basketball coaches bitching about baggy shorts but it is what kids wanted.  Then picture old school wrestling coaches when they invented the singlet and they were against because wrestling should be shirtless or even naked at one time.  Then we had international style singlets that were low cut and showed nipples and then they evolved to what we have now.  Singlets today have gotten longer in the legs.

There have been lots of changes as time has passed and we need another one.

I am most excited about the shirts because now our sport can have a jersey with a number and maybe even name on the back.  Will help with marketing the sport.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!
getyourpoints
One of My Turns

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

Doc,
Your example of Basketball is spot on.
It seems to me baseball has changed to baggier pants recently.
Football has changed pants, pads, helmets and colors.
Swimming has went from speedo's to Jammers.
All sports have went from cotton to dry-fit, heck at age 47 i have went from cotton to dry-fit underwear in the last year (huge improvement).
We don't have to be stuck in the past to embrace our history.

Last weekend our middle school dual team wrestled in a tournament with collage out of bounds rules, it was much better and the kids loved it.
Its time to change a lot of things.   
CoachZ
Speak to Me

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »

Just putting this out there. We've had fight shorts and shirts for two years now. Not one new wrestler. I realize it's a small sample size and every school is different. Personally I just don't think it's going to make as big a difference as some might think.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
MNbadger
Money

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

In my years coaching middle school I switched from insisting on singlets to giving kids the choice to wear singlets or shorts.  I saw no increase in participation and nearly everyone eventually went to wearing the singlet.
Regardless, if we do switch, the option should remain for those who want to wear a singlet.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:05:39 PM »

Jury is out completly on this one.

I do think over time it would increase the numbers but I dont think it would be very much.

I would like to see first
board shorts/volleyball shorts and no shirt in greco. I wonder if that would work
Do the same in freestyle

Maybe to sell the high school what about seeing the college teams wear the 2 piece outfit first and see the response.

It would be much easier to sell this if it started from the top first then the bottom up

The kids spend most of their time wrestling in shorts and t-shirts any ways. I see very few kids wearing singlets to practice.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
pin always
Wish You Were Here

go big, or go home!

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »

So alot of you guys say some kids are embarrassed to wear a singlet. I would like to see the look on a kids face when he/she is wearing fight shorts, and in a scramble the shorts get inadvertently grabbed and pulled down/off, or get ripped off. then what??
I don't think I've ever seen a singlet tear.
padre
Brain Damage

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »

So alot of you guys say some kids are embarrassed to wear a singlet. I would like to see the look on a kids face when he/she is wearing fight shorts, and in a scramble the shorts get inadvertently grabbed and pulled down/off, or get ripped off. then what??

If they wear them like they are supposed to they won't fall down.  Worse case scenario they then have compressions on which is just like a singlet.

We are using them for the second year.  The kids get a preference and more go with the singlet at this point.  I haven't  generated any new kids because of it but if more bigger kids stay out then it did its job.

Unless it is showcased in high school at duals we really cant say whether it gets kids out or not as most aren't going to spectate youth tournaments or middle school wrestling.
ElectricGuy
Breathe

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »

We practice in shorts every day. Rarely in the 30+ years I've been involved in the sport did a kid get injured because of the shorts. I can think of one broken finger.

Going to fight shorts is a step in the right direction for this sport. We have to start trying things to keep it going

+1

Interesting note - Jrob camps require shorts with no pockets for practice, but that is the only time I ever heard a possible issue with shorts and the no pockets makes sense.

Jr wore fight shorts last couple years of youth, he loved them.  I think it would be a very positive marketing change to the youth.   

We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.
Ghetto
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »

Wearing fight shorts will definitely not turn kids away if it's an option.

We went to fight shorts at our middle school as well this year. Part of the reason was to take away a reason to not come out. The other was that they can wear their compression shirts that say Bay Wrestling (Next year. We didn't get printing in time for the season.) out into the community as advertisement.

It may not help, but it can't hurt. We can't be afraid to try new things.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »

I did actually see a singlet tear. It was old and maybe a tad small for the wrestler. In this situation I think that tear could have been prevented also.

last night I did see a situation were a hand/finger got caught in a shirt. it was a loose shirt and actually the kid wearing the loose shirt was the one that was backing out because it was pulling.

tighter shirt no problem at all.

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »

options is were it is at.

though the money becomes the issue on this. Who is going to pay for the board shorts? alot of schools dont have the money to be buying both singlets and shorts/shirts.

Also, what sizes to you buy if the school has the money? sure get 30 inch waist but we all know that some kids are just built way different than others. while both kids could have a 30 inch waist but one could be tall and bigger and the other being shorter and more stout.

singlets kind elimates the problems.

padre
Brain Damage

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »

though the money becomes the issue on this. Who is going to pay for the board shorts? alot of schools dont have the money to be buying both singlets and shorts/shirts.

Also, what sizes to you buy if the school has the money? sure get 30 inch waist but we all know that some kids are just built way different than others. while both kids could have a 30 inch waist but one could be tall and bigger and the other being shorter and more stout.

No doubt an expensive endeavor when kids get the choice.  The nice part is they can double as warm ups for those that want the singlet so they will be used.  As far as ordering sizes....very tough but you have to look at it for the long haul and re-use every year.
Ghetto
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »

Board shorts are cheaper than most singlets. We paid around $30 for each. I can't remember where we bought our shirts from, but the ads show up on my home computer and I can post here. They were $6 and we are selling them to the kids for $5 at the end of the season. Sleeveless ones were $3.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: