Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
March 27, 2017, 01:36:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Singlets v. Fight Shorts  (Read 1467 times)
Kodonnelllaw
Speak to Me

« on: January 09, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »

While I understand the push for fight shorts and would support anything to increase the numbers and quality of wrestling in Wisconsin; it became clear this weekend that the bagginess of the shorts impacted wrestling results.

On multiple times my son's hand got caught in the shorts of the opponent while running a spiral. As a result, he was not able to transition and chain wrestle to the same degree he normally would. I'm sure other kids had the same issue. In addition, people were just lucky not to get injured in them.  (I know one of the responses is that they could get injured in practice and they roll around in them in practice, whats the difference. The difference is that if you are going hard in practice and a hand gets caught, the person who is in a bad spot can just say "stop, stop, stop" and teammates take their foot off the gas. In a meet, not really a reasonable option.)

Fight shorts are not the answer Sad. Maybe compression shorts (but that defeats the reason to switch).

Back to the drawing board in my opinion.
getyourpoints
Outside the Wall

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:04:43 PM »

We competed in a NUWAY national middle school dual and several of the other state teams had fight short's on. It had no impact, no talked about it or cared.
Personally I could careless what ever the kids like, styles change maybe it's time.
Our kids thought some of the gear looked cool.
bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »

We competed in a NUWAY national middle school dual and several of the other state teams had fight short's on. It had no impact, no talked about it or cared.
Personally I could careless what ever the kids like, styles change maybe it's time.

and think of the cool things you can do with a "uniform" #/name, wear it to school, offseason etc. Doubt the WIAA would allow it but Slinger Owls wrestling brought to you by  Red Owl (or A1 Fencing).

Quack
Us and Them

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »

and think of the cool things you can do with a "uniform" #/name, wear it to school, offseason etc. Doubt the WIAA would allow it but Slinger Owls wrestling brought to you by  Red Owl (or A1 Fencing).
You mean "A to Z Quality Fencing"

Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock
aarons23
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »

Hey now....you trying to help my competitor?

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »

bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »

Ha, I knew it was A.. I guess there was a race to be first in the almighty phone book, probably not too valuable anymore.

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »

I am sure there will be issues with the board shorts at some time.

I look at it this way, most kids at least in high school probably spend more time in practice wearing shorts and shirts than singlets and I havent encountered many problems to date. I am not saying that I havent encountered any problems but I think the singlets and wearing them scare more kids away then kids that get hurt in board shorts and t-shirts.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »

ooppss,,,,,I did send a couple of people to A1 fencing. I seriously did but now I looked up your sight and have it straight now and will in the future if I am asked again make sure I give the right info.

sorry about that, seriously I am.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
bigoil
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »

You should send them to Red Owl Fencing, Aaron's going to be busy in Texas Smiley

aarons23
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

You should send them to Red Owl Fencing, Aaron's going to be busy in Texas Smiley

Ha ha...I was just in Mexico surveying it from the other side.

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

Kodonnelllaw
Speak to Me

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »

I was with you Smiley. Connor's hand got caught in a kids shorts 3 times. I was in full support until that happened multiple times. I would guess that the kid's shorts may have been too big.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:57 AM »

I doubt your experience falls on deaf ear. You could envision how the line between fight shots and some of the loose shorts you see in practice could start to fuse over time; as norms in practice rooms go. I think the concern is legit. I'm all for MMA, too; but how do you regulate shorts and "tightness." Once you go shorts, I worry they'll loosen up a bit much. Spiral's an important skill; and is part of a chain when riding. The art of Folkstyle. If we're bending thumbs on high crotches and the like we might not like "shorts" as much.

I was gonna say Kadonnelllaw might be stretching. But I can see this being a problem. I'm always backing the new unis, but this might need to be addressed.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »

Ha ha...I was just in Mexico surveying it from the other side.

So THAT's who's payin' ya! VIVA MEXICO!!! Another promise come true. Smiley You must be a heckuva fencebuilder. Grin

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
getyourpoints
Outside the Wall

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »

No one divides folks better then Aaron.
I mean with fences of course   Grin
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »

Ghetto
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

We practice in shorts every day. Rarely in the 30+ years I've been involved in the sport did a kid get injured because of the shorts. I can think of one broken finger.

Going to fight shorts is a step in the right direction for this sport. We have to start trying things to keep it going

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: