Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
March 25, 2017, 02:44:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barry Davis & Connor Medbery Interviews - Coach Davis As Candid As Ever..... BSW  (Read 6053 times)
woody53
Brain Damage

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »

I am just happy we have a competitive wrestling team.  Heck, when I went to UW they got rid of the baseball team.  Could have just as easily been the wrestling team. 

Go Badgers

You are so right Harris. Many do not remember that time. If it was not for a few vocal and very inspirational individuals, we could have been the way of the baseball program. We were right there on the chopping block.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!
Numbers
Outside the Wall

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »

If you are going to bring up Midland results, I think it is worth noting that Jordan didn't wrestle.  Considering his past performance against the guy who won it at his weight, I think there is a good chance he would have done pretty well.  With him, we were likely in either 4th or 5th place.  

Not sure what some of you expect considering where we were just a couple years ago.  You don't go from being as bad as we were to beating Iowa, Minnesota, OSU, PSU etc. in a couple years.  We are right there with the next tear after them.  Right now we have 2 underclassmen ranked top 3 in the country and another underclassmen who has a good chance to AA this year.  

We are 6-1 in the big 10 including beating Nebraska and Northwestern.  That same Nebraska team just beat Illinois 22-9.  If you told me at the beginning of the year we would be where we are at now, I wouldn't be disappointed.  

I am not sure some of you appreciate how tough the big 10 is, especially when other schools have a lot more in state talent to pick from than we do.  

not sure what we expecting

the year the team blew up we all said next year... then Howe and Rutt transferred and JT took a redshirt when many expected him to come in and start

that year we said next year... that was last year... then as last year wasn't turning out so hot we said next year... as in this year. Now this year, we are 5-7th in the Big 10 yet again. I understand it is a strong conference but we don't use that excuse when we under-perform in other sports. If you can show me any way we finish above 6th in the B1G I would be happy to listen... I mean we could we squeak out a 5th... sure, but if we don't bring it we could also finish 8th real fast. Sorry, but in a year we where all waiting for I just don't think 5th or 6th is what we where looking for, it is the same result as the last 20 years.  Other sports at the UW that have been successful wouldn't put up with 2 decades of those results.... for some reason they are OK with wrestling being in the middle of the pack year in and year out.

Thankfully wrestling has an individual championship that allows us to have something to look forward to past the team results as I think we have  shot at 2-4 AA's this year. I support the program, as a fan I just want to see better results. To only be in the running for a B1G title once every 10 years is hard to get excited about. If we finished 5th-8th in the B1G every year in football the fans would also be calling for the coaches job and for the program to improve.

Quick calculation of what states have top 10 ranked high school wrestlers.
Penn-25
Illinois-15
Ohio-14
Minnesota-11
Iowa-8
Wisconsin-1 guy from Hartford

It is a good thing the Badgers pull at least some guys from out of state.  Maybe we need more of the Wisconsin complainers to help develop middle school and high school wrestlers of D1 quality?  If everyone on the board helps to get one wrestler in the next 6 years to a D1 wrestling room, Wisconsin will have plenty of in state options to recruit.
CLC FAN
Breathe

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »

Other sports at the UW that have been successful wouldn't put up with 2 decades of those results.... for some reason they are OK with wrestling being in the middle of the pack year in and year out.

To only be in the running for a B1G title once every 10 years is hard to get excited about. If we finished 5th-8th in the B1G every year in football the fans would also be calling for the coaches job and for the program to improve.

I love that you as a fan demand more of the team.  I think we as a fan base could use a little more fire that way... sometimes we remind me of Cubs fans in the way we accept whatever results happen.  That said, I'm not sure that you are comparing apples to apples when saying that other sports wouldn't accept only being in the running for the B1G title once every 10 years.  Just do this... replace the words "B1G title" with "national title."  Don't you think that's where most of our UW sports programs are at?  Hockey - both men's and women's - is a perennial national title contender, but what other sports meet the "more than once every 10 years" criteria for being in the running for a national championship. 

There is no doubt that UW has a tier problem right now - we are not really at all close to Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, or Ohio State.  But in fairness, those teams have gone [1,2,3,5], [1,3,4,6], and [1,2,4,6] at the last 3 national tournaments.  I'm not sure the B1G dominates another sport the way it does wrestling.  You keep saying that we are finishing in the middle of the pack - meaning (I think) middle of the B1G pack.  Well the top 3 spots are in the running for a national championship every single year.  With that being the case, it means you are either going to finish in the middle of the Big 10 pack, or you are going to be a national title contender.  So it's a bit misleading to talk about how unacceptable our wrestling results are compared with other UW sports - you are looking at very different water levels in terms of the B1G dominance of that particular sport.
jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »

Other sports at the UW that have been successful wouldn't put up with 2 decades of those results.... for some reason they are OK with wrestling being in the middle of the pack year in and year out.

To only be in the running for a B1G title once every 10 years is hard to get excited about. If we finished 5th-8th in the B1G every year in football the fans would also be calling for the coaches job and for the program to improve.

I love that you as a fan demand more of the team.  I think we as a fan base could use a little more fire that way... sometimes we remind me of Cubs fans in the way we accept whatever results happen.  That said, I'm not sure that you are comparing apples to apples when saying that other sports wouldn't accept only being in the running for the B1G title once every 10 years.  Just do this... replace the words "B1G title" with "national title."  Don't you think that's where most of our UW sports programs are at?  Hockey - both men's and women's - is a perennial national title contender, but what other sports meet the "more than once every 10 years" criteria for being in the running for a national championship. 

There is no doubt that UW has a tier problem right now - we are not really at all close to Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, or Ohio State.  But in fairness, those teams have gone [1,2,3,5], [1,3,4,6], and [1,2,4,6] at the last 3 national tournaments.  I'm not sure the B1G dominates another sport the way it does wrestling.  You keep saying that we are finishing in the middle of the pack - meaning (I think) middle of the B1G pack.  Well the top 3 spots are in the running for a national championship every single year.  With that being the case, it means you are either going to finish in the middle of the Big 10 pack, or you are going to be a national title contender.  So it's a bit misleading to talk about how unacceptable our wrestling results are compared with other UW sports - you are looking at very different water levels in terms of the B1G dominance of that particular sport.

7 of the last 9 NCAA championships in football have come from the SEC, should Georgia, Tennessee and Arkansas just sit back and accept 4th place in the conference?

Yes, the B1G is very strong in wrestling, does that mean we accept 6th place on average? Is it too much to hope for better? Is it too much to ask for more top 3's than bottom half finishes? In the last 11 years we have had 2 top 3's and 5 at 7th or lower.... so almost 50% of our finishes where in the bottom half of the conference. Would other sports deal with that as being OK? I support our program, I think we are competitive but we just can't seem to get over the last few hurdles to be a top 3-5 team on a yearly basis. Why is that? Are the other program just that much better? Do they have better coaching? Better recruiting? Better facilities? Better school? I'm a fan, I want to have a horse in the race occasionally. I want the stands to have 5000 people instead of 500... maybe even have enough people that they want to have wrestling at the Kohl center. Not asking for a national powerhouse, just would like to know more than once every 5 years that we might have a real shot to mix it up with the top 2 teams in the conference.

The one thing that really bothers me about Barry is... how many times in the last few years have we heard him talk about preparing for March and matches that come in Dec and Jan. then are just basically to "practice" and educate until it really matters. I guarantee none of the top 3 programs in the conference feel the same, they seem to strive to win every time they take the mat and all the matches seem to matter to them. I will always say he is a good coach, but at some point we may just need another voice or philosophy to take us to that next level. 

I am not in danger, I AM the danger!
wrestle03
One of My Turns

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »

Penn-25
Illinois-15
Ohio-14
Minnesota-11
Iowa-8

This is fact!  WI does not have the in state talent to compete with the Big 4 in this conference. 
Jag, stop bringing up football.....that don't have anything to do with the wrestling team!
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »

jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »

Penn-25
Illinois-15
Ohio-14
Minnesota-11
Iowa-8

This is fact!  WI does not have the in state talent to compete with the Big 4 in this conference. 
Jag, stop bringing up football.....that don't have anything to do with the wrestling team!

If each state only used in-state talent you may have a point. Penn had 4 times the population of Iowa... and 3 times as many top 10's yet Iowa is knocking at the door every year.

I am not in danger, I AM the danger!
sudden_victory
Wish You Were Here

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

Regarding the philosophy of putting all the eggs into one basket how they do in March- the Badgers have had some pleasant surprises in wrestlers who were not ranked in the top 8 or 10 but earned All American. Off the top of my head I think Ryan Flaherty, Tony Black, and Tyler Turner fall under that category. On the other hand there have been disappointments, Ralph Denisco finished in top 12 three years in a row if I recall correctly, Craig Henning's senior year after two outstanding performances before, Dallas Herbst was AA as a junior but lost to the wrestler from Drexel in the first round his senior year and did not place.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:27:40 PM by sudden_victory » Logged

Life is a bowl of cherries.
philschanen123abc
Speak to Me

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 06:25:14 AM »

Will begin this post by communicating that i don't know anything about anything. 

that being written, a person could get a less than ideal impression of Davis' words regarding, "get on my page"

if a 17 year old is thinking of wrestling in Madison, what would the person think when they hear that?  not sure.

Maybe Davis' could have better said something along the lines of, "we have certain individuals who are not doing what it takes to wrestle their best and reach their physical performance potential.  That is my estimation, that is what i am seeing.  my life opportunities have led me to learn from people like Dan Gable, the best wrestlers from the Soviet Union, the best wrestlers from Europe.  Watching wrestling films and clips is a big part of my year-round life and job.  In my position as the head coach, there is a lack of unity and an apparent lack of teach-ability among some of our guys.  We are doing what we can to have maximum unity and helping our wrestlers reach their top physical performance." 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Postscript:  when i sometimes go on social media, twitter or facebook and read about these young men in Div. 1 college wrestling programs who are aspiring to wrestle very well and place very well ...  then ... they post things about watching moronic television shows.  Wow, i'm floored.  A person has to be greatly deceived to think that they are going to wrestle very well and place very well along with being a college student while using their time and energy to watch these programs.  Unreal.   
Huckfinn
Outside the Wall

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »

A person has to be greatly deceived to think that they are going to wrestle very well and place very well along with being a college student while using their time and energy to watch these programs.  Unreal.   

A wrestler watched a bad TV show!?    I'm scandalized!   Don't these young men know that they are supposed to be doing productive activities 24x7?   Why, you wouldn't have caught me playing backgammon, eating bagels, or smoking pot in the dorm during my college days.
npope
Brain Damage

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

If you want to consider a 3rd place finish, 50 points out of first as "in the running" that is fine. 

That sounds pretty close to what the UW football team did last year...just saying... Wink

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

vsmf2010
Outside the Wall

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »

If you want to consider a 3rd place finish, 50 points out of first as "in the running" that is fine. 

That sounds pretty close to what the UW football team did last year...just saying... Wink
Nat,

That is probably the funniest post I have ever seen. I was going to boycott this forum but now I am glad that I did not.  Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: