Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
August 23, 2017, 04:13:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barry Davis & Connor Medbery Interviews - Coach Davis As Candid As Ever..... BSW  (Read 6703 times)
hammen
Us and Them

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »

Oh we already got 7th in the B1G tournament and 15th at NCAAs this year? Oh my bad jag, I must've missed the month of March. A little upset I missed St Pattys day and it's still 20 degrees out.
jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:17 AM »

Oh we already got 7th in the B1G tournament and 15th at NCAAs this year? Oh my bad jag, I must've missed the month of March. A little upset I missed St Pattys day and it's still 20 degrees out.

Not to say we can't finish higher than 6th, that is just based on their results so far this year and their depth. If we finish 6th or higher you will still be here saying everything is fine and looking bright and I guess that is fine but fans just would like the year we where waiting for to produce better results. Based on how we have wrestled this year I don't have high expectations for the team, I do for a group of individuals. I call myself a realist, but believe we can wrestle better, team hasn't quite proven that ability so far. 4th at Navy 7th at Midlands... B1G is way stronger than either of those.

What place do you predict in the B1G? I'm sure you won't answer that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:36:20 AM by jaguarwrestler » Logged

I am not in danger, I AM the danger!
Brett Favre
Outside the Wall

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »

Drew, I understand your allegiance to Barry Davis and you wanting to be an optimist, but CMON MAN. I am a huge badger fan too but I'm not willing to wait till I'm in a nursing home for the badgers to get better. I know the Big Ten sets the conference schedule but this year has to be the cream puff of all. Good thing UW didn't wrestle UW Whitewater this year, it could have been embarrassing.
With that being said, Some individuals continue to impress me and have good shots at winning it all this year.
GOOD LUCK BADGERS
hammen
Us and Them

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Tough to predict a finish when there is over a month until the tournament. I will wait until preseeds on that one.
mkm13
Outside the Wall

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »

If you are going to bring up Midland results, I think it is worth noting that Jordan didn't wrestle.  Considering his past performance against the guy who won it at his weight, I think there is a good chance he would have done pretty well.  With him, we were likely in either 4th or 5th place. 

Not sure what some of you expect considering where we were just a couple years ago.  You don't go from being as bad as we were to beating Iowa, Minnesota, OSU, PSU etc. in a couple years.  We are right there with the next tear after them.  Right now we have 2 underclassmen ranked top 3 in the country and another underclassmen who has a good chance to AA this year. 

We are 6-1 in the big 10 including beating Nebraska and Northwestern.  That same Nebraska team just beat Illinois 22-9.  If you told me at the beginning of the year we would be where we are at now, I wouldn't be disappointed. 

I am not sure some of you appreciate how tough the big 10 is, especially when other schools have a lot more in state talent to pick from than we do. 
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »

jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »

If you are going to bring up Midland results, I think it is worth noting that Jordan didn't wrestle.  Considering his past performance against the guy who won it at his weight, I think there is a good chance he would have done pretty well.  With him, we were likely in either 4th or 5th place.  

Not sure what some of you expect considering where we were just a couple years ago.  You don't go from being as bad as we were to beating Iowa, Minnesota, OSU, PSU etc. in a couple years.  We are right there with the next tear after them.  Right now we have 2 underclassmen ranked top 3 in the country and another underclassmen who has a good chance to AA this year.  

We are 6-1 in the big 10 including beating Nebraska and Northwestern.  That same Nebraska team just beat Illinois 22-9.  If you told me at the beginning of the year we would be where we are at now, I wouldn't be disappointed.  

I am not sure some of you appreciate how tough the big 10 is, especially when other schools have a lot more in state talent to pick from than we do.  

not sure what we expecting

the year the team blew up we all said next year... then Howe and Rutt transferred and JT took a redshirt when many expected him to come in and start

that year we said next year... that was last year... then as last year wasn't turning out so hot we said next year... as in this year. Now this year, we are 5-7th in the Big 10 yet again. I understand it is a strong conference but we don't use that excuse when we under-perform in other sports. If you can show me any way we finish above 6th in the B1G I would be happy to listen... I mean we could we squeak out a 5th... sure, but if we don't bring it we could also finish 8th real fast. Sorry, but in a year we where all waiting for I just don't think 5th or 6th is what we where looking for, it is the same result as the last 20 years.  Other sports at the UW that have been successful wouldn't put up with 2 decades of those results.... for some reason they are OK with wrestling being in the middle of the pack year in and year out.

Thankfully wrestling has an individual championship that allows us to have something to look forward to past the team results as I think we have  shot at 2-4 AA's this year. I support the program, as a fan I just want to see better results. To only be in the running for a B1G title once every 10 years is hard to get excited about. If we finished 5th-8th in the B1G every year in football the fans would also be calling for the coaches job and for the program to improve.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:33:06 AM by jaguarwrestler » Logged

hammen
Us and Them

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »

Pretty sure I remember finishing in the top 4 of the B1G in 3 out of my 5 years, with 2 of those finishes being in the top 3. Those results are within the last 9 years.

We have a lot of youth on the team and are in the hunt to finish above half the conference. That powerful youth will be coming back and growing. We have solid prospects and redshirts. The way the team is trending, I would say that expectations should reasonably be shifted towards being in the top 5, barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I can guarantee that the staff and team share similar and even higher expectations.
jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

Pretty sure I remember finishing in the top 4 of the B1G in 3 out of my 5 years, with 2 of those finishes being in the top 3. Those results are within the last 9 years.

We have a lot of youth on the team and are in the hunt to finish above half the conference. That powerful youth will be coming back and growing. We have solid prospects and redshirts. The way the team is trending, I would say that expectations should reasonably be shifted towards being in the top 5, barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I can guarantee that the staff and team share similar and even higher expectations.

average the last 10 years is 6th, we had 2 years better than 4th and 6 years 5th or higher... the last 10 years are better than the BD's first 10 for sure but still a 6th average in the last 10 only truly in the running for a title once. If one title run every 10 years in our conference is good for you, then I'm happy for you. If your happy with a 6th place average over the last decade then I'm happy for you. If 5th or higher again this year makes you feel warm and fuzzy then I am happy for you. I'm not cherry picking 1 or 2 year to support my facts, I'm picking 10 years at a time. Even if I leave out the 12th place finish from 2012 and use the 7th place finish from 2004 to replace it our decade average is still 5.5 in the B1G. I guess I just have to accept finishing in the middle of the pack because the past 20 years shows that is all will ever be.... as a fan it sucks to have to accept that... I guess it could be worse, I could be a fan of Indiana or Michigan State

leg turk
Breathe

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:01 PM »

I have to admit, I'm with Jag on this one, I would like to see better than a 5th or 6th place big ten finish every year.  It kind of sucks that we have to be just OK with that.
hammen
Us and Them

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

average the last 10 years is 6th, we had 2 years better than 4th and 6 years 5th or higher... the last 10 years are better than the BD's first 10 for sure but still a 6th average in the last 10 only truly in the running for a title once. If one title run every 10 years in our conference is good for you, then I'm happy for you. If your happy with a 6th place average over the last decade then I'm happy for you. If 5th or higher again this year makes you feel warm and fuzzy then I am happy for you. I'm not cherry picking 1 or 2 year to support my facts, I'm picking 10 years at a time. Even if I leave out the 12th place finish from 2012 and use the 7th place finish from 2004 to replace it our decade average is still 5.5 in the B1G. I guess I just have to accept finishing in the middle of the pack because the past 20 years shows that is all will ever be.... as a fan it sucks to have to accept that... I guess it could be worse, I could be a fan of Indiana or Michigan State

Pretty sure everyone wants a top finish - I don't know anyone who doesn't want to win and be a power program. Just pointing out flaws in your "facts" that we are only in the running for a title once every 10 years. We were twice in the last 9. I'm not rebutting the average finish in the last few years because that would be a fact. I believe we averaged a place of better than 4.5 during my time, which I think is pretty good. A few rough years could be considered outliers for sure. They're working their way back to that top 4 form.
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

Gutwrench
One of My Turns

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »

What is the measure of a "successful program" then? Jag sounds like he says an average finish of 6th place with a couple B10 finishes above that and a couple B10 finished below that doesn't constitute a successful program.  Would an average finish of 5th constitute a successful program?  An average of 4th?  Does Wisconsin have to win the B10 to be considered successful?

Or do you look at the bigger picture?  I submit that Wisconsin is in that next tier of programs after Iowa, Minny, OSU, and PSt.  I submit Wisconsin is in the tier with Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan, and Northwestern.  The last tier being Indiana, MichSt. Rutgers, Purdue, and Maryland.  Does a person say "Illinois has a succussful program" or "Nebraska" has a successful program?  Usually yes people will say that.  Than why not say that about Wisconsin if they are in the same tier?

Finally, should a person look even bigger at what constitutes a successful program?  Is it only results on the mat, or should one take into account academic and social success as well?  Is the program achieving a level of success on the mat and off?  Is the program producing successful young men?

Like Hammen said, we all would like to see UW win the B10 and the National Title.  However to insinuate that the UW program isn't successful I don't think is entirely accurate either.
shouldvewrestled
Outside the Wall

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »

I think it fits along with the recruiting hotbeds you have.  WI as a state in wrestling is probably 6-7th out of the Big Ten states when it comes to high school wrestling.  It's hard to get blue chip recruits to come here with minimal scholarship so those fall to the in-state kids which overall haven't been on par with the other states.  I think we fall in line pretty well and to expect a head coach to constantly make these type kids better than Iowa, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Illinois is asking alot.  We fall into the 2-3 times in a 10 year span hope to get a glimmer of the top.  Maybe a new coach would have better success at getting every little thing out of the wrestlers but overall I think Barry has done a nice job not letting us fall into a bottom feeder.
whatever
Brain Damage

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »

Everybody has an opinion about Barry Davis and I don't care to go there....

However, with his current staff (Trevor Brandvold and Kyle Ruschell) being fairly new  these past few years, I am more than willing to give those guys a fair shake to see how they help lead the Badgers up from the depths of a few years ago.

"....the older I get, the better I was....."
jaguarwrestler
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »

Pretty sure everyone wants a top finish - I don't know anyone who doesn't want to win and be a power program. Just pointing out flaws in your "facts" that we are only in the running for a title once every 10 years. We were twice in the last 9. I'm not rebutting the average finish in the last few years because that would be a fact. I believe we averaged a place of better than 4.5 during my time, which I think is pretty good. A few rough years could be considered outliers for sure. They're working their way back to that top 4 form.

If you want to consider a 3rd place finish, 50 points out of first as "in the running" that is fine. Can you imagine the football team finishing and average of 6th in the conference the last 10 years... neither can I. I just think it is time for a new voice and new philosophy. I like Barry, I think he is a good coach, but I think his history shows that this is as far as he will ever get us.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »

Harris
One of My Turns

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »

I am just happy we have a competitive wrestling team.  Heck, when I went to UW they got rid of the baseball team.  Could have just as easily been the wrestling team. 

Go Badgers

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: