Wisconsin Wrestling Online Wisconsin Wrestling Home Page
October 19, 2017, 05:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine , checks himself into rehab  (Read 3316 times)
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« on: January 06, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »

Huge disappointment , I hope he defeats his demons and gets his rear straightened out.

This storming from MMAJunkie web site (rather ironic)

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones failed a drug test prior to this past weekend’s UFC 182 event due to cocaine metabolites and has entered rehab.

MMAjunkie today confirmed the test results with Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Bob Bennett.

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC) successfully defended his title for an eighth consecutive time after defeating Daniel Cormier (15-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) via unanimous decision at the Jan. 3 pay-per-view event. He was randomly tested on Dec. 3, and results came back on Dec. 23, Bennett said.

The drug test detected benzoylecgonine, the primary metabolite of cocaine.

“At this point and time, Jones checked himself into a rehab center, and we’ll cross that bridge when he get to it,” Bennett told MMAjunkie when asked of the NSAC’s plans in wake of the failed test.

Jones is ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light-heavyweight rankings, and he’s also No. 1 pound-for-pound. Despite being just 27, the fighter’s four-year title reign has already sparked debate that he’s the greatest fighter in MMA history.

Because benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the NSAC could not halt Jones from fighting at UFC 182, which proved to be one of the biggest events in recent MMA history.

Following news of the failed test, the UFC issued the following statement, with no mention of any company-issued punishments:

We support UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ decision to enter a drug treatment facility to address his recent issue. While we are disappointed in the failed test, we applaud him for making this decision to enter a drug treatment facility. Jon is a strong, courageous fighter inside the octagon, and we expect him to fight this issue with the same poise and diligence. We commend him on his decision, and look forward to him emerging from this program a better man as a result.

The company’s president, Dana White, said he’s “proud” of Jones for entering rehab.

“I am proud of Jon Jones for making the decision to enter a drug treatment facility,” he stated. “I’m confident that he’ll emerge from this program like the champion he truly is.”

Results on the NSAC’s fight-week drug testing aren’t yet available.
bigG
Comfortably Numb

Woof!

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:42:41 AM »

He's getting help. Too often rock bottom comes close to top of the heap. Hope he gets well and returns. Unreal fighter. I generally cheer for the wrestler, but I didn't think Cormier had a shot against Jones. I was even surprised at how well Jones prepared for shots.

Great fighter. Get better!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
petertherooster
Speak to Me

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »

It's gotta be hard after making such big mistakes that were publicized everywhere, and having most of the world against you.
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

He's getting help. Too often rock bottom comes close to top of the heap. Hope he gets well and returns. Unreal fighter. I generally cheer for the wrestler, but I didn't think Cormier had a shot against Jones. I was even surprised at how well Jones prepared for shots.

Great fighter. Get better!

Umm he was not that great a fighter when his senses are numb from cocaine. fa tis fighters tossed fr weed or rounds this guy gets walk off into the sunset , the system is broke Dana White and the commission better fix it.

this is huge slap on the face to clean fighters.

Frankly Jones is a complete idiot I hope he gets clean but his belt should be stripped immediately.
bkraus
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »

My question is, would he have entered rehab if he didn't test positive?  I am willing to guess he would not have.  How is that being a champion?

Strive for Perfection
Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »

petertherooster
Speak to Me

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »

My question is, would he have entered rehab if he didn't test positive?  I am willing to guess he would not have.  How is that being a champion?

Very true
Ghetto
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:19 AM »

I think Jones was a wrestler too. Just not as accomplished as Cormier.

Usually its PEDs that are rampant in the UFC. Seems like a don't ask don't tell thing.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »

I think Jones was a wrestler too. Just not as accomplished as Cormier.

Usually its PEDs that are rampant in the UFC. Seems like a don't ask don't tell thing.

Just back ground;

Jones is an All American

He was tested on December 23 it is interesting if they knew it before the fight and all indication are they did why would they let the fight go on?

Let me answer that  💰💰💰💰

If Dana White is smart and fair and cares about the integrity of the sport he will allow Cormier to fight for the interim belt against the winner of Gustofson vs Rumble Johnson. Then and if Jones cleans up,let him work his way back up the ranks for the belt.
bkraus
Another Brick in the Wall

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »

Dana White smart...  absolutely.  Fair.... not a chance.  He only cares about the perception of doing the right thing, IMO.  He has turned the UFC into a multi-million/billion dollar business and you have to be smart to do that.  But does he have the best fighters in the world work for him?  I don't know about that.  Take Ben Askren for example. 

But for White to get quoted saying he is "proud" of his champion for entering rehab is inappropriate term to me.  Yes I am glad Jones is doing something about his addiction.  But shouldn't White talk about being proud of his athletes not using illegal drugs?  Isn't that something more to be proud of then of his guy who is and got caught? 

Strive for Perfection
ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »

Dana White smart...  absolutely.  Fair.... not a chance.  He only cares about the perception of doing the right thing, IMO.  He has turned the UFC into a multi-million/billion dollar business and you have to be smart to do that.  But does he have the best fighters in the world work for him?  I don't know about that.  Take Ben Askren for example. 

But for White to get quoted saying he is "proud" of his champion for entering rehab is ridiculous to me.  Yes I am glad Jones is doing something about his addiction.  But shouldn't White talk about being proud of his athletes not using illegal drugs?  Isn't that something more to be proud of then of his guy who is and got caught? 

Exactly my take.

As someone who buys the PPV this entire thing just makes me shake my head. Jones was already the fighter many loved to hate now he pulls this crap? Dana White and the Furtitta Bros built and empire but they need to deal with Thai right way or they will loose credibility. Now how important is that to them? We will see.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »

littleguy301
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »

This is a save face situation and that is all it is.

They kept the results under wraps until after and now rehab. Now they can say he is fully clean and now watch out. He had a problem for years and look what he did and now look out because he is clean.

If cocaine was the problem, I doubt that it helped his preformance by any stretch of the imaginaiton. Now if he was snorting a line inbetween rounds that could make a monster that felt no pain but seriously getting tested a month before, I doubt his head was numb. No one can talk that amount of trash and babble on and still fight as solid as he did being coked out to the hilt.

I would take a gander that most athletes at that level in any sport has done something questionable to either help with pain, get stronger, to get over some "rough" spots. This isnt a new thing to come out but with the UFC it was a completly save face since Dana White has come under some fire as of late.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet
Dale Einerson
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Seems quite obvious to me that the following facts are in evidence:

Jones was and is a champion at present.

Jones failed a random drug test and voluntarily (he apparently wasn't locked up and forced somehow) into drug rehab, after voluntarily using cocaine.

My opinions are:

Should Jones succeed at voluntarily discontinuing using cocaine or other drugs in the future he stands a very good chance of retaining a championship.

That would be remarkable; I would be proud of anybody who deals with a drug issue successfully, regardless of whether they retain a championship.

My hope:

Dana White has built a hugely successfuly MMA enterprise, whether measured by athletes in the fold, fan base, dollars of revenue and profit, and pay outs to athletes.  I would like to believe that Dana White also has a heart for those in his enterprise; he would want what is best for them personally, as well as what is good for the enterprise.

ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »

Seems quite obvious to me that the following facts are in evidence:

Jones was and is a champion at present.

Jones failed a random drug test and voluntarily (he apparently wasn't locked up and forced somehow) into drug rehab, after voluntarily using cocaine.

My opinions are:

Should Jones succeed at voluntarily discontinuing using cocaine or other drugs in the future he stands a very good chance of retaining a championship.

That would be remarkable; I would be proud of anybody who deals with a drug issue successfully, regardless of whether they retain a championship.

My hope:

Dana White has built a hugely successfuly MMA enterprise, whether measured by athletes in the fold, fan base, dollars of revenue and profit, and pay outs to athletes.  I would like to believe that Dana White also has a heart for those in his enterprise; he would want what is best for them personally, as well as what is good for the enterprise.

R you considering the right Clean fighter Dale who lost to th fighter who was on drugs and how those drugs may have influenced the outcome of that fight?
Dale Einerson
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »

Cocaine tends to stay in the body for 2-3 days...so, a whole lot of conjecture in my opinion.  (How do I know this?  Pre-employment and random testing results in the real world)

I don't know, I could be convinced otherwise, that I would call cocaine a performance enhancing drug.  Just thinking out loud, wouldn't it increase heart rate, which could lead to fatigue, even if the feeling of euphoria or energy is present in the brain the body could tire?  Wouldn't it also lead to potentially increased blood loss in the event of a cut?  Couldn't a feeling of superiority and power be as much of a negative in competition as a potential positive?

I guess it is safe to say "I am not there" with regards to cocaine being a performance enhancing drug.  I would conjecture myself that Jones parties with cocaine and he got caught...

If the guy is okay with rehab and can stay off the stuff, then, good for him.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »

ramjet
Comfortably Numb

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »

Cocaine tends to stay in the body for 2-3 days...so, a whole lot of conjecture in my opinion.  (How do I know this?  Pre-employment and random testing results in the real world)

I don't know, I could be convinced otherwise, that I would call cocaine a performance enhancing drug.  Just thinking out loud, wouldn't it increase heart rate, which could lead to fatigue, even if the feeling of euphoria or energy is present in the brain the body could tire?  Wouldn't it also lead to potentially increased blood loss in the event of a cut?  Couldn't a feeling of superiority and power be as much of a negative in competition as a potential positive?

I guess it is safe to say "I am not there" with regards to cocaine being a performance enhancing drug.  I would conjecture myself that Jones parties with cocaine and he got caught...

If the guy is okay with rehab and can stay off the stuff, then, good for him.

2-3 days is correct.

Enhances the mental ability to deal with the grueling effects of training camp.
helps with weight cut

consider this the tests from the week right before the fight not have not been released so in the interest of conversation if he used right before the fight potentially he could take more abuse without the normal effects.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:34:48 PM by ramjet » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: